Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: End of Life??

End of Life??

As an observation, I wonder if we are seeing the end of life for early larger fiberglass boats. Non Hatteras hulls with plywood encapsulated stringers appear to be in a category themselves that self destruct as the stringers are no longer functional both engine and hull support. I have seen a couple of boats with this problem and there appears to be no economically wise fix for the problem. So, these just seem to sit and rot further both on the water and in the bone yard. Ignore the whole situation seems to be the reaction of choice by owners once the expense of recycling are understood.

Hatteras early boats are a different situation, as the early hulls, including stringers seem to have no self destruct weakness. From my observations, the problem appears to be impacting the largest of the boats first. At the risk of over generalizing, it appears as these boats get older and older those that can afford to upkeep them also have the means and desire to own something newer. Those that can purchase the boats, sometimes with a financial stretch, soon discover the expense associated with such ownership, and stop trying to do the proper maintenance. As the purchase price of these older, larger Hatteras decreases and decreases they seem to fall into the hands of the overly optimistic less experienced owners, soon to be overwhelmed.

While I am generalizing, I will also observe that motor yachts are more prone to this end of life serenio and also boats in excess of 60 feet or so, seem most likely to be a subject. If my memory serves me, I believe it was the early seventies when Hatteras first started producing boats 70 feet and above, almost 50 years ago.

As for the smaller Hatteras, elder boats, these appear more manageable to maintain by those who always dreamed of owning one, and having good mechanical skills.

Other thoughts on the subject are most welcome.

Pete

Re: End of Life??

Maybe thats why so many owners dont do much to prepare for storms...let nature takes its course
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I'm sure the builders intended the stringers to last as long as the boat. I just don't think they expected the boats to last as long as they did.

Structurally if the stringers don't rot there's no limit to how long they can be used unless they take such a beating they break loose the stringers and bulkhead.

Hatteras may have gotten lucky with the hollow stringer system as boats lasted longer or may hVe shot themselves in the foot by lowereing sales to replace failing boats.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Maybe thats why so many owners dont do much to prepare for storms...let nature takes its course
    Perhaps the reason insurance companies decline to insure elder large boats?

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    I'm sure the builders intended the stringers to last as long as the boat. I just don't think they expected the boats to last as long as they did.

Structurally if the stringers don't rot there's no limit to how long they can be used unless they take such a beating they break loose the stringers and bulkhead.

Hatteras may have gotten lucky with the hollow stringer system as boats lasted longer or may hVe shot themselves in the foot by lowereing sales to replace failing boats.
    Jersey has always been the junk boat building Mecca. Light cheap and appeal to the women is their motto.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Just because you want to appeal to women you doesn't mean your light and cheap!
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Jersey has always been the junk boat building Mecca. Light cheap and appeal to the women is their motto.
    As the prior owner of one, AMEN. One is more than enough. I believe Hatteras DID it right, no luck involved. Not to say Hatteras got everything perfect!

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Glory View Post
    Just because you want to appeal to women you doesn't mean your light and cheap!
    Who says?
    Attached Images
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

I was not aware that Hatteras ever used stringer material, other than Fiberglas. I have seen Bertrams with wood engine stringers, but never a Hatt. Hatts have solid fiberglass hulls, although a very few Hatts had cored hulls, but that experiment stopped quickly, I believe.

So I did not understand any correlation between stringer issues on old Hatts and lowered prices. Now bad coring all over in a Hatt and price hits- that's a major other question!

A friend of mine had a very nice (Searay?), but with water soaked stringers. It was repaired for an entire summer, before it dried out (somewhat), plus had epoxy inserted. Finally sold (ran away from) the boat.

I talked to a yard manager about a big yacht with bad wood stringers, and it was "totaled"- worth less than the cost of the repair work. Can you say chain saw heaven?

Worst of the worst- some/many Bayliners, including the big 47 footer, were chopper gunned. I saw one in person, that was going down, but snatched up in the slings, saving it. Four months later I got a good look, when the Yard Manager pointed out a void in the hull just below the waterline. No fiberlass, but only gelcoat- the size of my forearm!!
    Last edited by spartonboat1; 10-09-2017 at 12:40 AM.
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

I have a friend who has a 4588 Bayliner and before he bought it it was lifted out for survey on a narrow travel lift and it crushed the rails in all the way to the inside of the boat. Buyer ran away and my friend bought it for $50,000 and repaired it himself. Scary!!!
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.