Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

60 enclosed bridge fuel gauge

Topped off my boat for the first time thus weekend. Fuel gauge didn’t move off 1/4. Any pointers? If mechanical I have a feeling it’s gummed up. Previous owners didn’t want to give away any fuel so they ran it on fumes and pumped the forward 518 gallon tank into the main tank until bone dry. I think that tank was very dirty judging by the racor bowls. I can imagine a bunch of algae attached to a mechanical sender.So...how do I remove and inspect without damage?

Re: 60 enclosed bridge fuel gauge

If you have the float gauges it’s an easy fix. Get a 2 1/2” socket and pop the gauges out. The cork or plastic float is stuck on the rods. Be careful not to bend the rods while cleaning. I found a scotchbrite pad or 220 sandpaper work well. If you need new ones Sam’s sells them for about 130 bucks. Hope that helps.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

When you remove and inspect (repair) your tank gauge, rig a small flexible pipe to a dip stick and pump a sample of fuel from the bottom of the tank into a clean, empty water bottle and let it set.

I have no inspection plates (yet) on my tanks and this was the best way I knew to evaluate my tanks when I first got my boat. The fuel from the bottom of the tanks was crystal clean!

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

Thank you both for the advice. I will pull a sample from the bottom of the tank as well. I suspect it's going to be very dirty. Usually I just get on a regular (advanced) racor change schedule (10 micron) and the tanks clean themselves. UNLESS it's so bad that I'm at risk of clogging a pickup line.

How much pressure is required to unscrew the gauge itself? I saw a thread somewhere about needing a breaker bar. I hate to put so much pressure on a 40 year old fiberglass tank. Any cause for concern here?

What part of California. I'm in Northern Ca.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I could not budge mine and I was using a 24" breaker bar...no luck. I shared the same concerns about breaking something. I spent days spraying it with PB Blaster.

My diesel mechanic came onto the boat with a 36" somewhat narrower breaker bar that seem to flex while holding constant pressure on it and it moved. Then we opened it. He did not seem to concerned about breaking anything.

Don't give up.

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

Hey Seven. I’m way down south in the port of Los Angeles. If you’re ever in the neighborhood As for the mechanic with the 36” breaker bar, I’m sure if the whole top of the tank broke open he would have just said it was due to age and being brittle while he wished you luck on the repair. I’ve got a 48” snap-on ratchet on the boat but I AM afraid to use it. Once that gauge is out I feel good.The Phillips head on the top...is that just for the glass? I don’t need to remove anything before I unscrew the gauge?

Yes the screws are for the Plastic not GLASS lense and gage. No need to remove it. The needle is moved by a magnet. I’ve removed 9 of these so far and although hard once they move they come right out. Do you have an impact wrench? If so use that, the pounding helps loosen the nut. Good luck. If your ever in the North give me a heads up.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

heat helps as well, use a heat gun or ( carefully) a propane torch. The pipe fitting is put in with pipe dope which seals up and gets hard. Heat will soften it. Slow steady pressure with a breaker bar will make it pop.
    Capt' Hoop (Master 100 Ton/towing)
    1978- 58 MY “Amare La Vita”
    2001- 60C “Noah's Ark”
    1986 Scarab II “Summer Hummer”
    1979 Sleekcraft Aristocrat (jet) “She’s a squirter”

Thanks. I do have an impact gun but my portable compressor won’t last more than a couple of seconds with it. I also have a heat gun and mapp gas torch but I don’t think I will be torching anything. Thanks for the advice! I will post pics when I get it out.