Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Flo- Scan Alternatives????

I’m finally considering taking the plunge and purchasing Flo-Scans. Before I make this investment is anyone aware of any alternatives? Although I’m sure they will pay for themselves a few years down the line, I want to consider all options. This just seems like a ridiculous amount of money given how competitive the marine industry has become. The Flo Scan’s will be around $2,700 all in, probably more by the time I’m done.
    Capt. TJ Karbowski
    Rock & Roll Charters
    Clinton, CT
    www.rockandrollcharters.com

Re: Flo- Scan Alternatives????

Thats a pretty good price if your getting the right Detroit package with gauges. Depending on the engines and displays they can cost more than $4k for nmea versions.

What are you looking for? A better system interface? Different gauges?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I just want to know how many gph I'm burning at any given time instead of guessing. Digital tachs would be nice but not imperative. I often run 25 miles per day on plane every day for 6 weeks straight during the spring and I'd really like to be able to dial it in for maximum efficiency.
    Capt. TJ Karbowski
    Rock & Roll Charters
    Clinton, CT

I bought one for a new 25' trophy I had in the late 90's. It was very accurate in burn and remaining fuel and I could find my sweet spot in any conditions. Problem is now I cannot run a boat without one and yes they are pricey but well worth the money. I haven't looked into any alternatives but I did have a hydrasport I put a new etec on and the fuel management sys was sweet.

Martin makes sensors to add to a nmea2000 system but it's not as simple as setting up a flowscan.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Just looking for as basic as possible... GPH.
    Capt. TJ Karbowski
    Rock & Roll Charters
    Clinton, CT

What engines, what other electronics do you have?

You could possibly buy the floscan sensors alone, or some other flow sensors and then hook them up to a counting device. The floscan NMEA2000 interface is a ripoff.

I plan to install Chetco n2k box to get my engine readings (oil,temp, etc) into nmea2k and they say that it can also take the pulse sensor input from the floscan sensors.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Another option though about same price as Floscan for NMEA 2000 would be Maretron.
    I used them for two years, they were reliable, accurate, and no pulse dampers required.
    If I remember they needed to be setup via a Maretron display or you can use a PC with correct software tool.

Ray
    Ray

1983 61CY 319

AnnaVal
    Jacksonville FL.

The maretron (not Martin as in my post earlier) work with nmea 2000 systems like the new garmin and raymarine mfd's. Although the parts can be easily integrated its not as easy as a flowscan electronically.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

I just added a Maretron system for tank level monitoring. It works with fluid pressure at bottom of tank rather than an actual level sensor. I would love to add flow meter to this system. I will research at boat show. This system also talks to my Garmin Via. N2k.
    Thanks,

Tony

2008 Cheoy Lee Bravo 78 "Bella Sophia"
    1989 78' Hatteras CPMY #311 "Bella Sophia" (sold)
    2007 Everglades 290cc “Bada Bing” (sold)
    2006 Advanced Outdoors 28cc (sold)
    2003 Melges 24 "Bada Bing" (sold)
    2023 HCB 42 “Bada Bing”