Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: 1/2 MIL 53MY all black -- are you kidding me?!!!

One good thing about black, the soot on the transom will blend right in.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

And cover up that billboard of a name back there.

So overdone. Like a desperate attempt to impress people that have little knowledge and no nautical sense.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by gbharrington View Post
    Not to my taste, but it looks like it was really well done. I bet she looks a lot better and easier on the eye in person.
    I hope so. She couldn't possibly look worse in person. Nowhere to go but up.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I am a traditionalist/purist when it comes to older Hatts so I really don't like this one. But I am really mostly surprised that the comments here are mostly about the color and the quality of the mods and the clean engine rooms. There have been no comments about the price. If you look past the colors and decorating and think about what you would get for $500,000, that is the question, IMO.

I can't imagine paying that for any 1977 53MY, even if it had been repowered, which this one hasn't. Does it have stabilizers? How about the electronics? Inverters? Isolation transformers? Generator? Bow Thruster? The big dollar items? There is NO WAY this boat will ever sell at even half that price.

EDIT: When I first posted this, I thought the price was listed at $499,000, now it says $399,000. If it keeps falling like that, maybe it will sell in a few weeks.
    The other one in Marina del Ray....Scarlett said that he'd heard the owner of that one had turned down 285K. So we know it's probably worth that much. If he's dropping it at 100K increments....he may be getting close to being ready to sell it.

Then there's the Nightingale "56 that we assume brought in the 400's (though it's hard to know). When I was shopping for my 56 10 to 12 years ago....there was one on the market for close to a million if memory serves. It appeared to me that it had been completely gutted and remanufactured rather than restored or just kept nice. It was an amazing boat. That was before the economy collapsed.

Their may be someone that'll pay over 3 for that black boat. It's difficult to know...but I believe we have some idea of what the top of the market is...no matter how nice you make them. What's the 'ol saying....? "No matter how nice you make it....it'll always be what it is".

If I had the money...I'd restore one...to exactly the way it left the factory....even down to the appliances and tv sets. And have even them restored....with late tech inside them. Have new stuff...like the battery charger, etc...look original...but with a new battery charger inside it. Appearance...1980's.....with practicality and late tech...hidden inside. Do the electronics the same way...everything....and what can't be made to look factory....hide it.
    Last edited by dcate; 10-08-2017 at 06:27 AM.

Asking prices are just that, asking. I do not want to over step my place here but there is a member here that bought a beautiful 63 cockpit motor yacht that was listed for over one million for something near $300,000. In my surveys I am amazed at how low a motivated seller will go to get rid of a boat. If you are a buyer, timing is everything. In general though the pristine boats are still getting top dollar no matter what they are. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by dcate View Post
    The other one in Marina del Ray....Scarlett said that he'd heard the owner of that one had turned down 285K. So we know it's probably worth that much. If he's dropping it at 100K increments....he may be getting close to being ready to sell it.

Then there's the Nightingale "56 that we assume brought in the 400's (though it's hard to know). When I was shopping for my 56 10 to 12 years ago....there was one on the market for close to a million if memory serves. It appeared to me that it had been completely gutted and remanufactured rather than restored or just kept nice. It was an amazing boat. That was before the economy collapsed.

Their may be someone that'll pay over 3 for that black boat. It's difficult to know...but I believe we have some idea of what the top of the market is...no matter how nice you make them. What's the 'ol saying....? "No matter how nice you make it....it'll always be what it is".

If I had the money...I'd restore one...to exactly the way it left the factory....even down to the appliances and tv sets. And have even them restored....with late tech inside them. Have new stuff...like the battery charger, etc...look original...but with a new battery charger inside it. Appearance...1980's.....with practicality and late tech...hidden inside. Do the electronics the same way...everything....and what can't be made to look factory....hide it.
    When I was doing houses, there were, generally speaking, three ways to approach a project
    1) Renovation or make like new
    2) Restoration or make it like it was when it was new
    3) Maintain or repair or replace whats needed, when its needed, with or without an upgrade

With houses i usually bought occupied houses with good bones, with some deferred maintenance that I would then do. ie no renovation and no restoration. I did pretty much the same thing with my Hatteras. I just want it to work. I am not trying to make it like new. Neither am i trying to make it like it was in 1977

So you would restore, The owner of the black boat renovated.. and im just going to continue to maintain my boat. All three are valid approaches, I think

If I had the money and if the black boat was in California, Id buy it... its done to my taste, exactly.. I think its gonna get sold

You might be a bit disappointed if you restored one to exactly how it was when it left the factory in the 70s or 80s. Modern appliances are a great deal better than what was fitted then. Especially modern radios and nav systems. Although I had a Motorola Modar VHF that was great, one of the best I ever owned. But I would not want old TV sets and microwaves etc.

Nautical decor for a boat is quite different than what I see on that 53. Unless it's intended as a floating condo that shows poor choices for form and function. Especially the 2 metal whatever they are on the bridge by the compass.

One trip in 8 to 12 and the decor will be redistributed throughout the vessel. It's obvious the decorator is not a yachtsman. Probably never ran a small boat or baited a hook either. Unless that's where the "dog"in the picture came from
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I don't like seeing water spots on my boat. Imagine trying to keep them off of that black paint. You'd better have the money to hire a full time detail guy.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Nautical decor for a boat is quite different than what I see on that 53. Unless it's intended as a floating condo that shows poor choices for form and function. Especially the 2 metal whatever they are on the bridge by the compass. One trip in 8 to 12 and the decor will be redistributed throughout the vessel. It's obvious the decorator is not a yachtsman. Probably never ran a small boat or baited a hook either. Unless that's where the "dog"in the picture came from
    Understood about form vs function