Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ecommerce...Grrr (Not Grrreat)

My marina has free pump-out service, but you bring your own adapter nozzle, that screws into the deck waste port. Notice the phases below- all neat and orderly- I use Agile planning now you know. Release Trains, Sprints, etc.! I think Agile does not call them Phases, but I digress.

Phase One: West Marine offers to order it in, as they do not stock the nozzles- understandable, since limited demand. But to "save money", I decline to order one.

Thinking I am old (true) and smart (not so much), I call up ole' reliable JamesTown Distributors to order the nozzle. There are only two sizes 1) 1 1/2 and 2) 1 7/8. What could go wrong and I got a live person at the other end- very personable. I confirm "1 7/8's"! Good to go

Few days later, my nozzle appears at my doorstep. Cool. I open it up...sheesh "1 1/2". I call JamesTown, all disgruntled, and ask to send it back. No, do not want to order another. They are very polite and send a confirming email for returning it.

Phase Two: So now, pride fully swallowed, I drop in on W. Marine. Order in person I do! Correct size!

Four days later...here is the box- hurray. Ahhh..."1 1/2". Same exact brand Dematic, as JamesTown, packaged with an identical SeaLand brand nozzle inside. - I think they are the only nozzle maker in the world- they have this market cornered!

So now I have two to return. I think they must share the same fullment service - wouldn't be a bit surprised if they do.

Phase Three: So now for an adventure- I will place a third order. I am a persistent person, plus I am motivated- I have a waste tank filling up!!

More later....
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

Re: Ecommerce...Grrr (Not Grrreat)

Would you be so kind to provide a link to what you are writing about? Regards, Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Top Hatt Craig View Post
    Would you be so kind to provide a link to what you are writing about? Regards, Craig
    Hopefully, this is what you requested.

Here is what is received: The green cover cap and the adapter nozzle
    https://www.wholesalemarine.com/seal...440C9A0190F7E9

As we draftsman used to say, the link is "typical" and there are many sites listing the nozzles for sales.

A closeup of the adapter nozzle:
    Attached Images
    Last edited by spartonboat1; 09-30-2017 at 12:31 AM.

Defender had an interesting post on this debacle.

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...181&id=1987783
    Regards
    Dan

I think Dan has the answer. Is it possible you're taking the OD for thread size? Pipe thread is specified by the inside diameter of the pipe. There is no such thing as 1-7/8" pipe thread.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

The one i use on my hatt is nr 343502-11.5. That s the sealand number stamped on the fitting

These fittings are called Banjo fittings, you can found them from industrial supply shops and amazon for less than $10

I recently had to order a matching male / female elbow to use between the deck fitting and the nozzle after the marina changed the pump out hoses. Banjo has whole line of fittings for that system
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Northern Tool stores have a bunch on the shelf
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    I think Dan has the answer. Is it possible you're taking the OD for thread size? Pipe thread is specified by the inside diameter of the pipe. There is no such thing as 1-7/8" pipe thread.
    This is one of those interesting aspects of modern ecommerce life of a narrow subject: terminology bounces all over:
    A) In the case of Jamestown, they list two sizes: 1 1/2" and 1 7/8". So if some of you believe I had the "1 7/8'ths" wrong/incorrect, I was going by my measures of the waste outlet size, as well as of the fitting plug. That plus my observation of the fitting insert/plug threads/inch which seemed to be about 12/inch.
    B) Some sites use OD, some use ID. Go figure
    C) Twice I ordered in-the-clear "1 7/8's". Both confirmed over the phone or in person. In both cased, the wrong part arrived.
    D) "Pipe Threads"- yes, I know there are NPT, etc. My use of the term was colloquial only and not intended to be the technical description
    E) Another thread reply mentions "Banjo Fittings". I will definitely research that.
    F) Other sources are mentioned and I will research that for sure, at much less cost: $10 is mentioned. By now though I think I prefer the Sealand.

I find this all so interesting, since I integrate large computer systems and descriptions such as Taxonomy, Topology, Ontology, architectures all play a role. Ensuring all parties are on the same page and space is important.

Now here we are discussing Waste Tank pumpout nozzles/adapters/fittings and trying do "acquisition" (yes, another modern project planning term) is still a challenge; now called "opportunities", in management speak (lol).

OBTW, the use of language and "words" are called "surface syntax" and you thought you were "talkin'".

Take the cap to a pump shop that sells to east and hydraulic cuatomers. They can match the thread and the recess opening to get the right one.

It's not rocket surgery and it's not a fitting used only in the marine industry..
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Ok, finally a description I can relate to and clarifies "my confusion". So this probably now falls under "My Bad"!
    Attached Images