Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Repower?

Repower?

I know the following may be judged as DD heresy, but after spending much of yesterday in my engine room trying to make my 453's look presentable, I am having thoughts of maybe repower is not such a bad idea. The size of my engines and possible repower requirements are far below the mainstream of engines that interest most members, but given the wealth of knowledge available on HOF, I decided to look for opinions and facts that may be helpful in limiting the field of candidates.

So here goes, somewhere between 160 and 180 HP, 4 cylinder due to available space, compatible with existing 4" diameter exhaust, more work boat oriented than high performance technology, USA manufacturer.

Thanks

Pete

Re: Repower?

John deer and Lugger are very popular in trawlers and apparently very reliable. Not cheap though Westebeke makes small diesels as well

Also the Cummins factory reman program is hard to beat price but I don't recall if they have anything smaller than 6 cyl
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

You almost have to look at what the sailboat guys use. Perkins, Westerbeke, and Yanmar come to mind.

Or, for less money, just pull the 453's and rebuild them. New gaskets and seals, new paint. And good for another 30,000 hours.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 09-14-2017 at 08:40 AM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Pete, I think your on the right track. Repowering that vessel is the way to go. The money you save in fuel and maintenance will pay for the project, not to mention the vastly increased resale value. Lots of shops would love to do that kind of project, and could probably make quick work of it. Please post pics as you progress. Good luck!

Have a specific question on "tier ratings". Apparently this year a new marine diesel of the size that interest me has to be a tier 3 emissions control rating. I notice on the remanufactured options, these do not meet such a rating. So, my question is do remanufactured engines meet their original tier emission ratings, and offer an opportunity to decrease the complexity of the engine when compared to new?

Thanks

Pete

Fpr a bpat that age, you don't have to put in Tier III engines, I think. You can use anything from the Cummins reman program. They make some 4cyl B series engines which would suit.

I think you would spend far less to overhaul your 4-53s, though. And they already fit. How many thousand hours would you have to run that boat to get your investment back in the form of saved fuel? Quite a few, I suspect.

Check out the Perkins line of marine engines.

The engine you put in must meet or exceed the standards of the time the boat was manufacturered.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Go for it, new, newer, reman modern diesel engines are a quantum leap forward from the 2-cycle Detroits.
    Also, removing the engines allows easy access to get your engine room/bilge cleaned up, painted, etc.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Pay attention to availability of service and support in your local and intended cruising area. For example, around here John Deere dealer are few, but in Maine where the lobstermen love those things Deere dealers are like Walgreens in Florida. There's one at every intersection.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375