Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: Hurricane ripped off fly bridge

Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Thank you for the quick replies.

wndsr, thank you so much for the offer to donate the windows, I will have to do some research if these would fit width and window area.

Freebird the 48F appears to be the direction I consider most realistic as its said they are a direct fit.

I don't kid myself that I'll get the money out of this boat from what I put in to get her cruise ready. The boat is not insured so what ever damage is done will be all out of pocket expense.

Avenger, my plan is to do the repairs in place and continue the trip south and east. From what we've seen these heavily taxed countries have shipping companies that can move odd items from the US to beyond.

Scott, a new boat just isn't in the finances right now.

We (wife and kids 7 & 4 years old) live on the boat and cruised from Fort Walton Beach, FL thru the Exumas, Bahamas and to Turks and Caicos. We decided to haul the boat to do some travel state-side so all are safe here in FL. The destination is St Martin and then turn around and do the eastern half of the Great American Loop (now that the boat has less air draft we could do the whole thing).

I fly back into the Turks on Saturday, to make a better decision on repairs and see which parts are salvageable and rebuild-able.

Please keep the ideas coming.

Maybe forget the bridge and associated controls. Just fab a hardtop and new windows. That would be the cheapest way to her back on the water.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Sky Cheney, my thoughts exactly. Not worrying about flybridge controls until a later date. From the pictures Ive seen the lower controls were pulled up a bit when it all let loose, hoping for a clean break. I will measure the steering lines and whats required to get lower-helm-only steering.
    Any ideas on that would be great.

Also wndsr wrote of the 53' windows, which is an awesome offer, looking at photos it appears they may be shorter in height than a 44' as the 53' windows sit on a taller fiberglass base. Does anyone have experience with the differences?

There's a set of front and wing windows from a 52c in my friends storage.

I can try to get measurements in the next day or two. They are solid and did not leak. I don't know if they will work but it may be an option for you.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by wndsr View Post
    I have several windshield sections from 53's and a Flybridge Fisherman from approximately 1985. I have no way of knowing if they are the same. I would be glad to photograph and measure. The problem is the shipping cost and hoping they would arrive in usable condition. These are also in fair condition and will need some level of restoration eventually. I will donate them to your cause but it may still not be a cost effective way to go. I would personally Jerry Rig temporary windows in place with plexiglass etc and then have Brodus build you windows. Good luck and let me know if I can assist.
    I really hate to see a family journey end in this way.I cam but think what a time for a family a trip of a life time all will remember.That in mine lets see if old freebird and i can help. My little mariner is about 20 miles from where the boat he is talking about is now on the hard.I know there are a lot of questions concerning parts and exchanging fitting and etc. But lets see salvage as many parts as you can put them inside the boat. ship or under its on power move to Morehead city.
    i will put the boat on the hard at no cost to you. You can make the 20 mile trip to fetch what parts are necessary (you can use my trailer and truck if necessary at no cost) again to fetch the parts. We do painting sanding and glass repairs there you can do all the work yourself or where it requires help we can help or bring someone to help. On the grounds we have a small bath house and small shower with 2 bunk beds and heat AC & tv which you can use at no cost. I guess what i am trying to say is my little mariner is open to you however you may need it.
    Brodas Rose put the windows in my 52c his shop is close to me less than 4 miles.So if necessary you can yell at him while you are around.
    I do have one question during my one visit to Turks i did not see a yard that eaven had a air compressor. Is there one there that has the knowledge and tools to do that kind of work? All i saw was turtle cove.

Tim Powell
    cell # 919 255 0882
    Last edited by Tim Powell; 09-13-2017 at 08:25 PM.

Hey Tim, we could use another adventure. We could load up in your boat, head down the ICW, pick up that 48YF, and put my towing endorsement to work. You can ride in the 48 and fish all the way down! 😀
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Wow!! Incredible incredibly generous offers here! Thank you to Tim Howell at Taylor Boat Works and Free bird for facilitating possible repairs to Dos Equis. I just spoke with both.

Scott, thank you for checking on the windows from the 52c, anxious to see the best solution on this. None of it easy that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Hey Tim, we could use another adventure. We could load up in your boat, head down the ICW, pick up that 48YF, and put my towing endorsement to work. You can ride in the 48 and fish all the way down! 
    I am game if you can talk Spellbound into it He is the Turks king
    Last edited by Tim Powell; 09-13-2017 at 09:31 PM.