Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Re: Hurricane ripped off fly bridge

Pascal, yes the yard is in prep mode again. More boats hauled out today. They closed the yard last time because they were full but they're fillling every driveway up. The interior storage boat house partially collapsed last week so they've moved the boats out of there too. I will strap down all of my loose parts.
    Attached Images

Being a prior owner of a 44 TC, let me offer some insight on the construction. The boats were first built in 1966/67 and came with a short hardtop and no flybridge. They were manufactured in High Point and shipped by truck to Morehead City without the windshields mounted. During the delivery prep the windshield was positioned and secured using sheet metal screws (may have been machine screws) through the lower frame edge and secured in the fiberglass cabin top.Shortly after the extended hardtop and flybridge were offered along with wing doors. A small triangular window was added to the aft edge on both sides of original windshield to create a vertical profile for addition of the wing door frames. The wing door side panels were mounted on top of the hand rails, and two supports were added to the aft edge of the extended hardtop. Also, two formed 1" bow rail tubes were added as mid supports, extending to the deck.

Bottom line, all additions appeared to be focused on supporting the weight of the enlarged hardtop and small flybridge, including people on it. It is not surprising that given the large sail area of the added bridge hardtop, the entire assembly would easily lift off in a stiff wind. Everything holding the windshield and all that was above it relied on just a few screws threaded into fiberglass to hold it in position. Again, the focus definitely appeared to be supporting vertical weight and lateral motion, not lift. Definitely an example of why any addition or modification to a boat needs careful consideration.

Pete

Pete, great run down. Yes the windshields used screws. Most ripped out leaving some holes to patch w epoxy. Yes. Looks like it was all more designed to hold up not down. Those two rear triangles Added for the wingdoors are both intact. Thank you for the info. Update on original window frame extrusions: they are not available. I will have to fabricate with fiberglass or some kind of generic aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Equis View Post
    Pete, great run down. Yes the windshields used screws. Most ripped out leaving some holes to patch w epoxy. Yes. Looks like it was all more designed to hold up not down. Those two rear triangles Added for the wingdoors are both intact. Thank you for the info. Update on original window frame extrusions: they are not available. I will have to fabricate with fiberglass or some kind of generic aluminum.
    Purchase the frames from cape look out windows and cut your self That might be a easy way Brodus just send you straight pieces you cut and put together. Not sure but i think it is pultruded through a hot die.

I HOPE YOU HAVE SECURED WHAT IS LEFT AND GOT YOUR A$& OUT OF THERE. LOOKS LIKE YOU ON THE EDGE OF ANOTHER ONE. THAT REALLY IS A DOWNER.
    Last edited by Tim Powell; 09-19-2017 at 09:11 PM.

I still think the easiest way to put this back together is to have an aluminum frame made to support the entire structure and also have something to attach the windows to. A really well made hard enclosure will be the easiest and cheapest way to handle the front windows attached to a top and bottom track.
    It's going to be very hard to fabricate window frames made from FRP extrusion without a lot of expertise. Btw, I'm a big fan of pultruded FRP extrusions, made a 10 x 20 floating dock this spring with FRP I-beams and angle, lots of other uses for that stuff too.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Hey buddy, You still down there? I am back in Fl for a couple of more weeks and will be back to TCI. Let me know if I can bring or put anything on the boat for you while I am here. Mike, Tibor or Jiles can hook you up on welding and fab. Hope things are coming along for you and fam. Bibo/South Caicos

Heading down to the Florida Keys tomorrow to begin search for wrecked 41'-48' Hatts. I'm guessing the same Irma that did my boat in may have done in another. Windshield frames and side supports are primary goals. Bibo, thanks for reaching out. I'll hit you up. Was down there for Hurricane Maria but as you know the damage had already been done so no additional damage on Providenciales, Turks and Caicos was witneased by me.