Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hurricane ripped off fly bridge

Our 1970 44' TC had its flybridge and helm windows, side door, top hand rail, etc ripped off by Hurricane Irma while on the hard stand in Turks and Caicos. I will fly to down to assess the damage in person this week and see if the original aft deck roof and helm windows are salvageable. The key part of getting our boat back up are the helm windows. I have called Sams Marine. While they have the uncut original aluminum extrusions they do not have the window frames already fabricated. Broatus Rose with Lookout Boat Window Frames has put a lot of effort into finding a solution but since the boat is still in Turks and Caicos he can not measure and fit the fiberglass products he makes. Does anyone know of a salvaged 41'-48' Hatteras with intact windows frames that I could retrieve? Any advise on how to get our boat going again would be appreciated. Attached are before and after pictures. NWNT1331.jpgIMG_0882.JPGIMG_5009.jpg

Re: Hurricane ripped off fly bridge

Sorry to see that sounds like you have a positive attitude to get her back up again. Might look into buying a cheap donor boat for parts.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Sorry to see this. My first thought is you're going to have to get the bridge deck back on the boat and in place. Think it's going to be really hard to have the bridge deck in the exact same place as before; and then have the windows made to fit? Maybe have an aluminum frame made to sit the bridge deck on, like a half tower and hardtop setup is put together and then figure out the windows?? Or instead of aluminum frames and glass go with a hard plastic enclosure? Just throwing out some ideas, best of luck.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

I have several windshield sections from 53's and a Flybridge Fisherman from approximately 1985. I have no way of knowing if they are the same. I would be glad to photograph and measure. The problem is the shipping cost and hoping they would arrive in usable condition. These are also in fair condition and will need some level of restoration eventually. I will donate them to your cause but it may still not be a cost effective way to go. I would personally Jerry Rig temporary windows in place with plexiglass etc and then have Brodus build you windows. Good luck and let me know if I can assist.

Don't you think the insurance company would total the boat?

To give you better advice I think we need further clarification of your intent. Are you trying to rebuild the boat there, or are you trying to get it back to the US? We can only go by the pictures, but I would think that there are more issues to getting it operational since control cables and hydraulics would have been torn apart when the roof departed. Also, if you plan to bring the pieces back here how will you transport them? If you lash them to the cabin top they will be a huge obstruction. In that case it may be time to consider a tow or shipping.

It's hard to look at that kind of damage. I really hope you can get her back together soon.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Sounds expensive to repair. If I would even consider repairing it, I think rsmith's (Scott) idea to find a parts boat may be cheaper and faster. Keep in mind that the current value of a 1970 boat is very low and you could easily spend much more just for repairs. If you have insurance, which I'm sure you do, I would take the proceeds and just buy another boat. It is a shame because it was such a good looking boat but sometimes reality becomes a bitter pill to swallow.

Walt

This is just horrible. So sorry for your lose.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by Walter P View Post
    Sounds expensive to repair. If I would even consider repairing it, I think rsmith's (Scott) idea to find a parts boat may be cheaper and faster. Keep in mind that the current value of a 1970 boat is very low and you could easily spend much more just for repairs. If you have insurance, which I'm sure you do, I would take the proceeds and just buy another boat. It is a shame because it was such a good looking boat but sometimes reality becomes a bitter pill to swallow.

Walt
    Lift your stuff off the boat. Push it aside and put a new boat under your stuff.

It's not worth rebuilding. It will always have the stigma of a storm victim. You'll never get your money out of repairing it.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I can hook you up with everything you need if it turns out to make financial sense for you and some friends on the coast of NC who have an incompleted, project 48YF. Check out the thread in the boats for sale section.

The bridge, windows, and anything else you might need are interchangeable with your 44TC. Sorry you've suffered this loss but glad you're here to talk about it.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93