Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Alternator help

Alternator help

Delco alternator not charging. It’s a dual 12 and 24 volt unit. Has a good ground and 12.5 volts to large wire and 25 volts to the small wire. Tried exciting the field and that didn’t work. Wanted to ask the experts here if any other ideas and what is the small round capacitor looking piece on top of the alternator before replacing. Thanks in advance
    Attached Images
    1984 Hurley 36 Express sold
    1974 46C series I sold
    1984 46HP series II

Re: Alternator help

I have the same boat. Call me crazy but my alternators never worked and I run gen which powers chargers. Only the port forward battery ever sees a load as the house battery. The 3 others sit to start gen or engines. I took the belts off the alternators.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Re: Alternator help

That is the old tried and true Delco 30SI alternator.
    The box on the back (Non-Delco), offers the dual voltage output. Usually a good 12V and a trickle 24V outputs.
    That cap on the top looks like an extra noise filter. There is already one internally unless replaced with this larger one, outside mounted.
    It is a brush-less alternator. Extra noise reduction confuses me.

I remember a SS engine where that was (smaller package) a time delayed diode.
    Part numbers or any specs off of that potato would help more than guessing.

Because of its nature and later operations (nobody goes fast anymore), these units do not start charging automatically at low RPMs well. One of mine did not want to start auto-charging until 1700 RPM and when it did, threw out wonderful current back down at idle..
    I have modified mine with a switched sense wire and they work great now. Rev up not required.