Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

CRUISAIR Thermostat Upgrade ?

So my original question was going to be "what is required to switch over from an old Honeywell style thermostat to a SMX or SMXII controller. While determining the model of my existing Honeywell I found it matches up to a Heavy Duty Line Voltage unit. Interesting. Is that what these systems use ? Check out the price of those things !

The thermostat I have more or less works fine but we use it more like an on/off switch since the fan runs constantly even once the set temp has been achieved.

Back to the original question..will the SMX controller work with the existing 3 or 4 control wires or does a new harness have to be run ?

IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0216.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg
    1986 54 Hatteras MY IOLANI

Re: CRUISAIR Thermostat Upgrade ?

I replaced all of mine many years ago with these:

https://www.microair.net/products/fx...rol-system-kit
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by IOLANI View Post
    So my original question was going to be "what is required to switch over from an old Honeywell style thermostat to a SMX or SMXII controller. While determining the model of my existing Honeywell I found it matches up to a Heavy Duty Line Voltage unit. Interesting. Is that what these systems use ? Check out the price of those things !

The thermostat I have more or less works fine but we use it more like an on/off switch since the fan runs constantly even once the set temp has been achieved.

Back to the original question..will the SMX controller work with the existing 3 or 4 control wires or does a new harness have to be run ?

Attachment 73678

Attachment 73679

Attachment 73677
    Is the $238 for the original Honeywell or the SMX board shown? I am looking for an original Honeywell line voltage stat. If this is a good link you just found what I couldn't find in hours of searching. I believe the SMX boards are not line voltage and you have a computer involved.

We need to get a picture inside of your condensing station box. If you have a controller logic board, from these pictures a controller model can be determined and your questions answered correctly.
    Certain panels require certain controller boards to work at all.

You may not have a board at all and your Honeywell working in place of an ole 3 knob switch panel.
    An whole other od installation.

Help us help you.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 04-29-2024 at 09:39 PM.

If the original stat works fine why change it? When fixing something that is not broken remember that no good deed goes unpunished. Have learned that the hard way.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    If the original stat works fine why change it? When fixing something that is not broken remember that no good deed goes unpunished. Have learned that the hard way.
    Like; Never kick a sleeping dawg?

I have been thinking about one of Briankinley2004's comment,, "the fan runs constantly even once the set temp has been achieved".

For a saloon with lots of windows, this may be a good idea.
    But, why can this not work as the Honeywell control picture shows "auto" on the bottom??

To help on this, IMO, still need to know what controller, (if one in use) is in the box.
    Could be just a few lil (Bosch type) relays in there.
    But like madhatter1 started, You really want to kick this dawg??If you have the need to kick something, Help me on our boat. I still have some projects that need to be kicked around.

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    Is the $238 for the original Honeywell or the SMX board shown? I am looking for an original Honeywell line voltage stat. If this is a good link you just found what I couldn't find in hours of searching. I believe the SMX boards are not line voltage and you have a computer involved.
    This looks to be an active link on Amazon but the price says $340. I can't find the same link I found last night for $238. Maybe now that you have the actual part number you can look for better pricing.

https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-T60.../dp/B00097BE0E

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    Like; Never kick a sleeping dawg?

I have been thinking about one of Briankinley2004's comment,, "the fan runs constantly even once the set temp has been achieved".

For a saloon with lots of windows, this may be a good idea.
    But, why can this not work as the Honeywell control picture shows "auto" on the bottom??

To help on this, IMO, still need to know what controller, (if one in use) is in the box.
    Could be just a few lil (Bosch type) relays in there.
    But like madhatter1 started, You really want to kick this dawg??If you have the need to kick something, Help me on our boat. I still have some projects that need to be kicked around.

Ralph that was actually my comment about the fan running continuously. It's not bothersome when running the A/C but when using the heat the fan starts to have a cooling effect on the room when the heat pump cycles off. This is kind of annoying and uncomfortable as the temperature just see-saws up and down. It does this even in the "Auto" mode.

It would be more comfortable in heat mode if it just shut off after achieving the set point. There may be a setting inside the thermostat to change this feature I'll have to try and find a manual for it.
    If so then I also subscribe to the old rule of leave well enough alone...

The Honeywell stats have a wide temp swing before engaging. The FX2 will allow complete control of the system. You can program them to turn on/off fan with compressor for heat or cool modes, dehumidify function, control fan speed, etc. Great upgrade. Just replace the PWX box with their box and run a Cat 5 cable to the new T-stat.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by IOLANI View Post

It would be more comfortable in heat mode if it just shut off after achieving the set point. There may be a setting inside the thermostat to change this feature I'll have to try and find a manual for it.
    Then lets get ya fixed.
    Need a schematic of the thermo stat. Could have just of been installed incorrectly or has a bug.
    Can use a pic inside your controller box or at least a model number from the box.

When are you heading south thru my hood?
    All my hammers are down here.