Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Cool In Frame in 58’ Hatteras

Can someone tell me if you can do an inframe on Detroit 871 in 58’ Hatteras with dropping oil pan in bildge or if engine must be lifted Thanks Alan

Re: In Frame in 58’ Hatteras

Yes, you can in-frame the 8v71s. You must cut hatches above the engine in the Forward Salon if they are not already there. You can hook up to the engine and raise them enough to do anything you need.
    Owner - 1979 Hatteras 58 YachtFisher Enclosed Flybridge

Don't know about the 8V-71's, but we in-framed our 8V92's in our 58MY. With the 92 series you have to raise the engine to get the front oil pan bolts out. We were able to do it with a port-a-power on the motor mounts. We unbolted the propshaft first.

Hope that helps,
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by angeron1@yahoo.com View Post
    Can someone tell me if you can do an inframe on Detroit 871 in 58’ Hatteras with dropping oil pan in bildge or if engine must be lifted Thanks Alan
    In-frame; Rebuild while the block/crankshaft stay in place??
    Sounds good.

lifting the engine up several inches for a still in the boat rebuild, may be required if the crankshaft is requiring replacement. How bad is the crank shaft??

71 crankshafts are near bombproof pending suspected abuse.

A better job??; in-frame vs removing the whole engine, could be the correct question.
    Better cleaning, crank service and dyno running are available if the whole engine is removed for rebuild.

21 years ago we rebuilt our stb 12V71TI in frame. Then 25 years old (1978 boat).,
    Took some honing of the lungs to get new dry lungs in, crank stayed all std sized.
    All still very good today.
    It was a gamble. Happy with the results.

What does your shop recommend?
    What does your second shop recommend?
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 05-15-2024 at 08:46 PM.

Inframes are easy, and you don't need to cut any hatches. I did this on my 53' MY, you just need a stand rigged onto the stringers or motor mounts to rotate the block after disassembly to roll in the bearings, and you're set. It's not complicated, the boat was designed around being able to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by cww View Post
    rotate the block
    ???
    Why??

Just started second in frame rebuild 8V92Ti in a 46C. First one was when boat was on a mooring, that was not nice, parts of this engine are very heavy. This time at least I am on land. Got the blower, oil pan and heads off. bit tight under the engine but just enough room to roll in new bearings. Next job is to get the pistons and sleeves out. Then, cleaning, the worse part of the job, It's a big job, take your time. Enjoy, P