Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Repair or replace props

An unfortunate event…. I slightly ran aground on an unmarked shoal. I managed to back off it however, upon arriving at the marina, I had the boat craned out and inspected the hull and the props. The hull was fine but the props are a limited damaged. I contacted my insurance company and started a claim. They requested an expected estimate. I called Holland prop and they asked what size and pitch of props. I have zero idea. He said it would be anywhere from $1500-$3000 each to be scanned and repaired. He couldn’t, understandable, say for sure without seeing the props.

does anyone know the size and pitch of props for a 1994 48’ cpmy?
    Would I be better off replacing them?
    Im guessing at an approx 30” props
    I have 6V92 engines
    SummerWind
    1994 Hatteras
    48 cockpit motoryacht
    Muskegon, Mi

Www.youtube.com/@greatlakesyachting

Re: Repair or replace props

Any pictures? Most props can be repaired especially if you were able to make it back under your own power. How bad were the vibration at low RPM?

Probably not worth filing a claim even if you have a real low deductible. Your premium will go up if you do.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Did you look at the hub? Most props are stamped with the diameter and pitch on the edge of the hub.

Caesars Ghost
    1980 58YF #472

Spare props have anything on them?

No spares????
    Let me help you spend lots of your money;;;
    You ever dreamed about a set of those fancy props? The ones that do back flips and help your boat go 1/2 knot faster,,,
    Now could be the time..

are you back in the water? If so, have a diver pull the props, they're coming off anyway. If you don't have any "load" issues, have them repaired back to what is stamped on them. Shop will be quick to advise if unrepairable
    '88 55'C hull 394 ​BEATs Therapy
    12-71 TA's ZF BW190 1.5:1 gears

Backed off? You have more issues to look into. Strainers, impellers, crap in the intercoolers and the heat exchangers. Ask me how I know.

Not trying to be a sourpuss but check these.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Quote Originally Posted by Phasma2128 View Post
    An unfortunate event…. I slightly ran aground on an unmarked shoal. I managed to back off it however, upon arriving at the marina, I had the boat craned out and inspected the hull and the props. The hull was fine but the props are a limited damaged. I contacted my insurance company and started a claim. They requested an expected estimate. I called Holland prop and they asked what size and pitch of props. I have zero idea. He said it would be anywhere from $1500-$3000 each to be scanned and repaired. He couldn’t, understandable, say for sure without seeing the props.

does anyone know the size and pitch of props for a 1994 48’ cpmy?
    Would I be better off replacing them?
    Im guessing at an approx 30” props
    I have 6V92 engines
    i have a set of 36' 5 blade , if u r interested that i would sale - they came off a 48' hatt

Quote Originally Posted by hack View Post
    i have a set of 36' 5 blade , if u r interested that i would sale - they came off a 48' hatt
    that's a safe buy from that username. That's a MONSTER prop
    '88 55'C hull 394 ​BEATs Therapy
    12-71 TA's ZF BW190 1.5:1 gears

Original prop size will be in the Hatteras owners manual
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

with all the resent design developments in props that maybe worth looking into before the money gets spent. i have seen some interesting reports on efficiency/performance