Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Best way to prime engines while on the hard.

I recently had the fitting for the hose on my forward tank going to the distribution manifold fail. Since it was the fitting right at the fuel tank, probably no more fuel was lost than what looks like whatever was in the hose and 1/2 the Racor. So, smelly, but not serious. Let's just say that I am happy that it failed here in the boat yard and not somewhere at sea... Naturally a complete survey of the hoses found that some had been replaced and were quite good, but 5 were suspect, so out with the old and in with the new. I hope to splash the boat this coming week and the question of priming the engines came up. I don't have priming pumps on the fuel lines and now I have 5 hoses that are empty. I know, fuel pumps are already on the list to add.

Option one: Put it in the sling and in the water, fill the Racor back up and hope that the batteries can last long enough to pull fuel through.

Option two: Crank the engines while on the hard until they catch. Of course, shut them right down once the do.

Option one is the boat yard's suggestion, option two is me thinking.

The reason for option two, while I think that it is riskier, we would still be hooked up to shore power and if for some reason the batteries couldn't get the engines primed, then they at least would be charging for another attempt.

All thoughts welcome! I am learning as I go.
    Robert Moore
    Lagniappe
    '73 53' Hatteras Classic
    Hull 391

Re: Best way to prime engines while on the hard.

Option #3 ??
    Since the fuel lines are empty, Install a priming pump.
    Integral to the Racors or stand-alone.