Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Chiller winterizing

A friend is going to leave his motor yacht in Canada this winter and is wondering how the closed loop section of the system will need to be protected from freezing.

Thanks
    Walt Hoover

Re: Chiller winterizing

Some systems run glycol on the loop. I think a strong antifreeze is the best option. Tarting to drain everything will not be easy.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Some systems run glycol on the loop. I think a strong antifreeze is the best option. Tarting to drain everything will not be easy.
    I thought glycol in the closed loop was standard practice. We use it in all of our chillers at work in central Florida.

Running straight water both on my 54 and the 116 I run. The 116 was setup that way when I took it over 3 years ago and for mine I followed the chiller manufacturer directions

As long as the loop doesn’t get below the set temp it s not going to freeze
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    I thought glycol in the closed loop was standard practice. We use it in all of our chillers at work in central Florida.
    You would think. King of Prussia mall in PA runs water and was bugging out over the new CHWV's we installed that don't spring return. The coil on one AHU exceeds the cost of converting to tan in a can. Go figure.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

6. Re: Chiller winterizing

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    You would think. King of Prussia mall in PA runs water and was bugging out over the new CHWV's we installed that don't spring return. The coil on one AHU exceeds the cost of converting to tan in a can. Go figure.
    And the wait to get an AHU what more a chiller has been crazy lately.