Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

new Onan Gen 21.5KW

Need to replace the old one. Does anyone know a dealer that has a new 21.5 and 11.5 KW Onan in stock. the 21.5 is the critical one.
    Thank you
    "Remember"
    1988 67' cpmy
    Hull #301 (hull #1)

"Remember"
    1979 58' Y/F
    Hull #464
    https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/im...ine=1557868341

Re: new Onan Gen 21.5KW

Why OhNo ??

well this one has lasted since 1988. 2nd choice would be a NL. The new Onans look nice and every viking has them and i hear good things.
    "Remember"
    1988 67' cpmy
    Hull #301 (hull #1)

"Remember"
    1979 58' Y/F
    Hull #464
    https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/im...ine=1557868341

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtsmyth View Post
    and i hear good things.
    Sorry brother,, That is funny.

NL is a far superior system. Usually less in final cost.
    NL and other systems offers great service for the money and cheaper to maintain in your future.

If I can just get to to at least look at some other product, I would be happy, even if you do purchase OhNo.

Please shop well and carefully.

My preference is to own a brand with no proprietary circuit boards. Generators are not rocket science. Look for a set with a good engine such as a Yanmar or Kubota with a Marathon generator end and an off the shelf regulator board that you can buy anywhere for less than $40. That way you can keep a spare aboard.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    My preference is to own a brand with no proprietary circuit boards. Generators are not rocket science. Look for a set with a good engine such as a Yanmar or Kubota with a Marathon generator end and an off the shelf regulator board that you can buy anywhere for less than $40. That way you can keep a spare aboard.
    I had one from M&L in my 55' and many folks in Louisiana have 10's of thousands of hours on these things with no issues. The board went out in mine and it was a Blue Seas system non proprietary board. Not sure what they use now but here is a link to the site.

https://www.mlengine.com/ml23iehd-t4...-generator-set

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    I had one from M&L in my 55' and many folks in Louisiana have 10's of thousands of hours on these things with no issues. The board went out in mine and it was a Blue Seas system non proprietary board. Not sure what they use now but here is a link to the site.

https://www.mlengine.com/ml23iehd-t4...-generator-set
    Not mentioned a lot, but the Isuzu engines are great.
    Our 30kw (4LE1) set has 5000 hours, not the first drop of oil lost, zero case vent pressure, pulls as strong as it was new. Checked valve lash twice in 18 years, zero adjustment required. Next check probably due now but in no hurry. Runs great.

One night I'll type up my novel, Saving later OhNo engines.
    Bolting on SAE3 adapter housing, modifying the tray and bolting up Stamford generating ends.

Kubota and Shibaura make fine diesel engines.
    Cummins does a good job marinizing these engines.
    It that damn OhNo junk that is supposed to make electricity that sux the most.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; Yesterday at 10:45 PM.

Viking installs Onan gensets for two reasons, most important is worldwide warranty service, second they come in a pretty white box, quality of the units isn't important.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Viking installs Onan gensets for two reasons, most important is worldwide warranty service, second they come in a pretty white box, quality of the units isn't important.
    Viking installs OhNo gen-sets for one reason; Profits.
    quality of the units isn't important.