Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

12v71TI Oil Leak

The starboard engine has always leaked some oil into the bilge. Over the past couple of years this seems to be increasing. Today I now have more than a gallon of oil in the bilge and I have watched the dipstick oil level go down after a recent 4 hour run.. Not good. There is obviously a very good drip of oil.

But I cannot find the leak! There are small drips here and there but nothing obvious. Ive bought an inspection camera today to view under the motor but it all seems dry with the exception of the inacessible sump oil drain fitting which has a hose connected to it for sucking out the oil. Maybe thats it.......

Where else do I look? Gearbox is dry. Airbox drains? Rocker gaskets? There must be some known trouble spots on the 12v71?

There is some blue smoke that clears when starboard motor is run up. Turbos were recently inspected by mechanic and oil free.

A new mechanic is booked for August (our winter) to remove and service starboard intercoolers. We can check blower seals at the same time.

But for now any and all suggestions to find the oil leak are welcome.

Thanks.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

Re: 12v71TI Oil Leak

Quote Originally Posted by scottinsydney View Post
    but it all seems dry with the exception of the inacessible sump oil drain fitting which has a hose connected to it for sucking out the oil. Maybe thats it.......

Well, That is one of the main issues of the turbo oil drain/return hoses that fraking return to the oil sump. If not the hose, the hose-nipple adapter to the sump wall is leaking.
    It is rite at the cold (not running) sump oil level and its old paper gasket will start leaking (pouring) when the hose gets leaned on (like for a turbo inspection?).

Order fresh gaskets, next oil change, pump the oil out, replace the gaskets, reassemble.
    Just remove the two bolts that bolt the nipple plate to the sump.
    Do not try to remove the hose from the hose nipple. Do not bent that hose. Pandora's box will explode on you and you will be replacing the hose.

As long as I'm talking about that turbo oil return hose, Never, never, never let a hose shop make new hoses with new hose end fittings.
    The original hose end fittings have a special thread, and must be re-used.
    Also the exact lengths must be kept, not 1/2 inched longer or shorter.

I opened this Pandora's box on my 12V71TIs near 20 years ago. I have warned many about this. Some listened.

Look at exhaust manifolds too. They tend to warp over time and start to leak usually at the aft end. If you do change those gaskets, check the manifolds for warp. They may need to be machined before they go back on.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Capt' Ralph.... is it this gasket? from DieselPro. I wil go look for that sump fitting next time I'm at the boat.

gasket.JPG
    +++
    Sydney, Australia.

OK. Thank you Sky. I will go back into Diesel Pro and have a look see.
    +++
    Sydney, Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by scottinsydney View Post
    Capt' Ralph.... is it this gasket? from DieselPro. I wil go look for that sump fitting next time I'm at the boat.

Attachment 73839
    That looks just like it.

My suggestion is to buy several spray cans of contact cleaner or brake cleaner. Spray down everything to make as clean and dry as possible. Then clean up 100% under the engine and lay down new white oil pads. Then run a bit and it will lead you to the leaks.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP