Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Holding tank filling with sea water !

3/4 full light came on in rapid fashion. Should have been almost empty. Before I realized what was happening the tank filled entirely with sea water. I was able to stop it by shutting off the two through hull fittings that feed the Galley Maid pumps to the V berth and guest heads.

What's going on here is there an internal check valve inside one of the pumps gone bad ?
    1986 54 Hatteras MY IOLANI

Re: Holding tank filling with sea water !

You may have a copper line that connects the priming plug holes to one another. This is done to avoid loss of prime issues. However it will fill your holding tank and is usually only used if discharging directly overboard .
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Thanks I will check that at sunrise. Midnight here I'm just glad I got it stopped at this point.

None of the valves were repositioned since last season and it worked just fine it would take a couple weeks to fill the tank and call the pumper boat.

Just looking at the install diagram could it be a vented loop issue and a siphon occurring ?
    Last edited by IOLANI; Today at 12:01 AM.

Without knowing the exact design of your installation, I'd check the vented loop first. Perhaps the vent hole or hose is clogged, allowing a siphon condition to exist.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    Without knowing the exact design of your installation, I'd check the vented loop first. Perhaps the vent hole or hose is clogged, allowing a siphon condition to exist.
    Will do Bob thanks. I know there are anti siphon valves on the master and guest heads but don't remember seeing one on the V-berth pump ....