Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Northstar GPS Problem

I own a good bit of boat stuff that is approaching 20 years old and problems are surfacing. Todays is a Northstar 941XD GPS, that for the second time in its life is having a problem with reliable differential reception.

To start, the boat and thus the 941XD are 7 NM from the New Bern, NC differential transmitter towers. So, one would expect great reception. Not so. When the unit is turned on from a 24 hour off condition, it will scan looking both for satellites and DPGS signals. The satellites lock in over the next 90 seconds or so and I get a fix. The dgps receiver takes maybe 3 of 4 minutes to slowly scan all the DGPS frequencies until it hits 294 KHz, New Bern and then proceeds to lock in. Not for long though, in another 4 or 5 minutes all the parameters such a signal strength, SNR, etc go crazy and the lock in is lost and it takes another 24 hours before it will repeat the routine.

Now, add to this the same 941XD had trouble with its DGPS receiver about 10 years ago, was sent into Northstar for service and came back with a new DGPS receiver card. So, maybe, just maybe, these cards expire after 10 years. But before I jump to that conclusion, anyone have similar experience with Northstar differential receivers? Could it be the antenna coupler? Add to that there is no where to send it for repair.

BTW, if I trash the unit, my biggest problem is filling the existing hole in the console with something close in size, and having looked at what is out there, I can only find one company that makes GPS's without plotters and charts, that being Furuno, and all their units are too small, and the commercial ones are too large.

Ideas?

Pete

Re: Northstar GPS Problem

There's an outfit on the outer banks, I think in Nags Head that knows Northstar. Call them and/ or send them the unit. They fixed a dinosaur for me a while back that saved a deal. Jim Rosenthal recommended them and picked the repaired unit up for me and delivered it back! Highly recommended.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

How does "Marine Electronics of the Outer Banks " in Nags Head sound?

Thanks

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    How does "Marine Electronics of the Outer Banks " in Nags Head sound?

Thanks

Pete
    Based upon a quick Google search, it looks like that's the place. I didn't recall the name when I typed my response.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Marine Electronics of the OBX is a good outfit for repairs, they kept our junk Northstar 6000's and 962 going for a few years before I gave up on them.
    Max Marine Electronics in Pompano has a big assortment of used/older stuff available.

Do yourself a favor and step into the modern world with some up to date electronics, the stuff is absolutely amazing. Why can't the new piece be a MFD with charts, etc?
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

First, my highest priority is to not create a cosmetic problem, so fit in the existing hole or with a workable modification is mandatory.

Second, the existing system is PC based using Nobeltec Admiral 9, the last version before they stopped supporting NOAA vector charts. The configuration uses the GPS only for LLT, SOG, XTE, etc type information. Admiral has all the routes and waypoints, drive an AP20 autopilot, interfaces with the Furuno radar, AIS, etc. So, all I need and want is good GPS 1083 sentences sent to the computer. NOAA charts and all other navigation information is displayed on a 15" OceanPC LCD panel in the pilothouse and a 12" sunlight viewable LCD on the flybridge.

Hope that explains why I prefer a working fundamental GPS and have little interest or room for something more elaborate. BTW, the room I have to work with is 10.5"W x 6.25"H. Can go as small as about 9"W x 5"H if something comes to mind as an alternative.

Pete

I'm sure modern gear would never be as efficient as your setup. Keep repairing the old crap until it lets you down at the wrong time and causes an accident.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

8. Re: Northstar GPS Problem

If you are using the old unit to only provide GPS data to the Nobeltec, just use a Garmin 18X plugged into the NAV computer and be done with it.

Now, that is a classic. An active HOF owner/operator of a 50 year old boat expressing concern that the repair and maintenance of vintage marine equipment elevates the potential for an nautical accident.

Pete

When the shit hust the fan and the old gear shits the bed your screwed.

Keeping our boats safe and seaworthy means we need to address things like that with common sense.

Our airforce flies old planes with updates and new electronics. Our coast guard and navy upgtade electronics on their vessels too. If the structure is sound take the time to upgrade the electronics.

You had it fixed once already. Isn't that a good indicator?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.