Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

1980 37 Convertible window seal renewal job?

I finally decided to replace the seals on my front and side windows. I have the instructions from the forum Tips & Tricks section. My question is how easily do the inner and outer frame get apart once the screws are removed? In the instruction I do not see the need to apply/use any sealant adhesive when sandwiching the window opening between the inner and outer frames so I take it only screws are keeping them together and once the screws are removed frames will come off easily.

Has anyone done the job? Any additional tips and suggestions on what to do and what not to do. I noted that some of my screws will break or are wasted so I will have to replace them. Are there any detailed instructions with photographs on the frame removal and fitting?

regards/Petar
    M/V BONAZZA
    1980 Hatteras
    37 Convertible
    Hull# - 405
    Twin DD 6-71NA
    Vancouver, Canada

Re: 1980 37 Convertible window seal renewal job?

The inner aluminum is a bezel and only screwed to the inner cabin sides/supports. The inner bezel is ther merely to hide the hideous cuts the factory made when cutting for the window frames. The inner and outer aluminum are not mated together in any way at all. The outer heavy aluminum frame is screwed but sealed in any manner according to whoever worked on the boat last. Be prepared to be innovative and bold when removing the outer frame. glass removal before hand may be necessary. I have found that the screws are long lasting and few will break in my experience as they are only screwed into a relatively thin fiberglass layer and then plywood.

These pictures should give you an idea of what your getting into and how to do it. The Irwin squeeze clamps weren't strong enough by a wide margin to remove the front frames. The front frames were scary to say the least as they were in with some kind of urethane. no damage if you go slow and think about what youre doing. Also a oscillating tool such as fien or sonic crafter type with a glass removal blade to cut the urethane/sealant as you micro lift the frame up. don't rely on clamps brute strength alone. cut sealant as you go. IMG_6940.jpgIMG_6939.jpg
    Attached Images
    Last edited by bostonhatteras; 08-22-2017 at 07:48 PM.

Thanks for quick responses and photographs provided guys.

I spoke to Steve McPherson at Sam's Marine today and he told me if my windows are not leaking under the frames that I will not need to remove the inner or outer frame but the vinyl gasket, glass pane and clean out the old butyl tape and foam tape before re-applying new and repositioning back the glass pane and new vinyl gasket. The only reason to remove the frames is if the caulking under it is shot and causing the leaks which I do not think is the case on my boat.

Just the aged, weathered and brittle vinyl gasket, butyl and foam tape under the glass pane allowing the water to seep in slowly.

I have a small visible leak on the bottom of one of the front windshields and in order for the water to get in there is only if the vinyl gasket and butyl and foam tape are shot. There is no way for the water to make it under the frame, and then upwards in order to drip inside.

When I understood that the two frames are not connected, and that the glass pane actually resting on the outer frame and that the inner frame is just for cosmetic appearance and to hide the wood/fiberglass cutout for the windows then I figured out that even though the water stain is on the bottom, in order for the water to make it through is not under the frame. Law of physics would not support that theory.
    M/V BONAZZA
    1980 Hatteras
    37 Convertible
    Hull# - 405
    Twin DD 6-71NA
    Vancouver, Canada

You might apply Cap'n Tulleys Creeping Crack Cure to the frame/fiberglass seal just to be sure there are no leaks.

Bobk