Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tennessee River Eclipse

The boy and I took the Allison to "Gizmo", a local island hangout spot to watch the eclipse. It was awesome to say the least! It sure confused all the critters, that's for sure.

https://youtu.be/sG4Jmar3PVQ
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Re: Tennessee River Eclipse

Went a few miles north of the N-Plant and anchored out. It was cool to see the moon in three dimensions as the sun light wrapped itself around. The corona with naked eye was spectacular, as were the stars that came out.

Amazing how powerful the sun really is.

Did you have a total eclipse?

Good thing you were a bit north of Chattanooga as I heard there wasn't that much to see there.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

I got screwed...was all set up in a nice place, started watching it, and a damn storm popped up. Hopped in RV and ran to get away from clouds, but missed tot total and just caught it receding....oh well gotta do 2024.

At least I wasn't alone: http://www.postandcourier.com/news/e...6f99cd778.html
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Thanks for the share.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

We took the boat up to Fort Loudon on Tellico Lake, near Vonore, Tennessee. Had about 2.2 minutes of totality...it was awesome. Without totality, it's had to appreciate an eclipse. The highlight for me was the first ray of the sun poking out from behind the moon... Had a boat full of wonderful folks, clear skies, and an epic event to watch...doesn't get any better!

To describe it to some skywatchers on another forum I got all gushy:

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    We just got back from TN where we had about 2 minutes and 20 seconds of totality. I would describe it as being among the most amazing and shortest 2 minutes and 20 seconds of my life. It was fan-freakin'-tastic!
    A poster suggested that this was very cool. So I got out my super gushy keyboard:

It sure was.

I didn't want to get all braggy on the people who didn't have the opportunity because I really wish everybody could experience this. But if you could only see a partial, as impressive as that is, you didn't get to see what it really was, by an order of magnitude.

When that moment of totality hits and you take the glasses off and look at that big black ball in the sky.... when you can see solar flares in the corona with your barenaked eyeballs,.. when it's 360° twilight on your spot on Earth and the birds stop chirping and the crickets start.... when the temperature drops about 15° in as many minutes...

You can't help but blurt out something. Even if it's just wow.

It's a true mind smoker.

Then in no time at all the sun starts to peek out in one tiny spot, like the flame kernel of an oxy-acetylene torch... white hot that burns your retinas,.. in that instant it's over.

But for that fleeting moment you sense the power of the universe. You feel insignificant, but so much greater for the experience. As I said, Mind Smoker.

There's another one coming in 2024. Make your reservations now.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

To describe it to some skywatchers on another forum I got all gushy:

A poster suggested that this was very cool. So I got out my super gushy keyboard:
    3 events in my life have really affected me badly and caused me great anguish.......one of those was missing the totality yesterday because of a damn cloud. GRRRRRR!
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

2024 will be the one for us. We have a place in the Adirondacks and it's in the patch of totality. Not much of an event here in NJ. I remember seeing a total eclipse as a kid and it was impressive
    Jack Sardina

Yes we had totality for about 1-1/2 minutes about Mile 496 on the river. What I thought was cool was the corona during total. The stars came out, the bugs started chirping, and the birds went to bed.

Major traffic on the river headed south after the event. I just poured another cold one and waited. Everyone is in such a hurry.