Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Detroit Diesel 692/435 hp Smoking

Our port 692/435 hp is smoking badly. We recently (15 hrs. Ago) replaced all of the injectors with Reliabuilt 9215. She ran great for type past 15 or so hours then on a return trip the port engine started to make a lot of black smoke. We throttled down to 1100 and limped in. We checked both turbos and the blower and they seem ok. She idles normally, smooth and seems to make power. At the dock if you throttle up she smokes and leaves a lot of black residue on the water near the exhaust port. Could it be a clogged fuel return line, a collapsed exhaust hose/muffler baffle moved?? Any ideas would be appreciated, were out of ideas.

Re: Detroit Diesel 692/435 hp Smoking

Presuming this happened suddenly, I'd suspect a bad injector.

Bobk

I'd bet it's the Reliabuilt injectors. I've posted many times that I think (and know from expensive experience) that they are junk.

JR has hit it on the head they are absolutely Junk saying it lightely....... I went through 48 injectors Reliabilt.. Western branch did the work they are required to use the darn things. Because they are a DD dealers. I pored 16 on the desk of western Branch in Beauford. They were within the time frame. i ask for my money back.

You got it about right after about 15 to 20 hours they would start peeing instead of spraying. Smoking as you say fuel shen on the water smoke on the transom all the bad stuff. Fish for a day and a white t shirt was charcoal. Get rid of all of them while they are new. Junk Junk Junk!!
    Last edited by Tim Powell; 08-19-2017 at 08:28 PM.

What injectors would you guys recommend as an alternative? What are the best injectors for these engines?

Quote Originally Posted by johnjen50 View Post
    What injectors would you guys recommend as an alternative? What are the best injectors for these engines?
    Sorry i do not remember the Name brand.Mr Kenny Hill a well known DD mechanic got mine for me, I can send you a pm Or answer to this post tuesday.
    I am at home now. I have been running them for about 5 months no smoke at all.
    Mine are not Bosh but i heard they are good i have not used them.
    SCOTT MAY CHIME IN. I bet he has a good suggestion right down his alley.
    Last edited by Tim Powell; 08-19-2017 at 09:18 PM.

I texed Mr Hill the DD mechanic the injectors came through Interstate. Should have a dealer in florida. Mr Hill said if he could Help give him a call
    His home #
    252 244 1543
    email
    K.hill1968@gmail.com

good luck by the way Mr Hill was a teacher at the DD school

Thanks so much Tim!

Everyone I've spoken too lately has the injectors tested before installing them.

Even the new interstate mcbees
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

l

I buy them brand new from "Interstate McBee" company. Reliabilts have a sketchy reputation at best.
    And IMO, you likely do have at least one injector that is flooding a cylinder. Hence the heavy smoke. Consider not running that engine ill repaired for fear of washing out the cylinder.