Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fuel Tank Vents

Fuel Tank Vents

I have a 1966 TC 41' and last fall I started having problems with fuel coming out of the tank vents when fueling the boat. First it started with the port tank and now both. When I get to about about 145 gallons even pumping at a very slow rate, fuel starting to come out of the vents. Any thoughts?

Dan

Re: Fuel Tank Vents

Quote Originally Posted by dwramia View Post
    I have a 1966 TC 41' and last fall I started having problems with fuel coming out of the tank vents when fueling the boat. First it started with the port tank and now both. When I get to about about 145 gallons even pumping at a very slow rate, fuel starting to come out of the vents. Any thoughts?

Dan
    I had the same problen. I took off the brass on the outside of the boat that covers the line at some time martins or dirt dobler had made the hole smaller. Took them off just two screws. Sand blasted them cleaned them out and repainted and put back. I have one for water,2for fuel,2for holding tank. I did it for all of them.I still get a little from the fuel Ibelieve that comes from the vented loop left over
    My neighbor replaced his line from tank to outside vent on the fuel. His quit trickling at fueling time. His thinking was the line was deterating inside and not letting the air out as fast as it should.

We had the trouble even after cleaning the vent covers and also changing the vent lines (wasn't as bad) so we added Racor Lifeguards which eliminated the issue.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

I had that problem but only on the port tank. Diesel mechanic noted that the genset fuel return was plumbed into the vent line. I had been letting the genset run while fueling. With the gen shut down my overflowing problem went away.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    I had that problem but only on the port tank. Diesel mechanic noted that the genset fuel return was plumbed into the vent line. I had been letting the genset run while fueling. With the gen shut down my overflowing problem went away.
    Eric, since we have boats one haul number apart I bet that is what is going on. I typically have the genes running when I fuel up. Can't wait to fuel up again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Powell View Post
    I had the same problen. I took off the brass on the outside of the boat that covers the line at some time martins or dirt dobler had made the hole smaller. Took them off just two screws. Sand blasted them cleaned them out and repainted and put back. I have one for water,2for fuel,2for holding tank. I did it for all of them.I still get a little from the fuel Ibelieve that comes from the vented loop left over
    My neighbor replaced his line from tank to outside vent on the fuel. His quit trickling at fueling time. His thinking was the line was deterating inside and not letting the air out as fast as it should.
    Thanks for the info. Tried cleaning mine out last time on the hard. Will check them again.