Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Paper in transmission filter/starboard engine

Had my mechanic today change the transmission fluids in units and check the filters. This mess was found in my starboard transmission. It is paper. No telling how long it has been there but must of been there before I bought the boat. I've put 200 hours on the engines and have never had a problem. Mechanic said we saved a catastrophic failure from happening. I agree. Check those filters!paperintrans.jpg
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

Re: Paper in transmission filter/starboard engine

Quote Originally Posted by RonNP View Post
    Had my mechanic today change the transmission fluids in units and check the filters. This mess was found in my starboard transmission. It is paper. No telling how long it has been there but must of been there before I bought the boat. I've put 200 hours on the engines and have never had a problem. Mechanic said we saved a catastrophic failure from happening. I agree. Check those filters!Attachment 23210
    Hard to imagin where that came from do you know what name brand filter was on it?

Re: Paper in transmission filter/starboard engine

We had a member here from down under that bought a 53c. Bought it in Florida and had it shipped down. First year he had the boat every thing ran great then he started having transmission problems. I think 2 or 3 failures. Turned out the mechanic was putting the wrong filters in and they were sending pieces throughout the trans and causing the problem. I seem to remember he has $6000 worth of repairs they wouldn't stand behind.
    On another vein I've often wondered how long the filter media lasts on these boats that never move and don't put enough hours on them to at least yearly change oil and filters.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present