Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Removing paint to gelcoat

Folks.. curious to get some wisdom here.

Had a marine servicers pro on board the other day and he noted that below my 40+ year old paint, was a gray primer coat and then a gelcoat layer.

I am keen to explore removing the paint and primer layers. The pro suggested using 1200 wet sandpaper on the flat sections and do the corners by hand.

I was wondering:
    1. Is there a thinner/ chemical stripper that would take all original paint /primer off layers without making the gelcoat "cheesy"?....e.g.would an antifouling paint stripper work?
    2. How thick is the gelcoat on my boat... a 73 38' def...could I get to gelcoat and then polish this up?

Re: Removing paint to gelcoat

The boats were painted new. The gelcoat was not supposed to be the outer coating. Repainting is common. I've never seen a painted hatt gelcoated.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

The gelcoat on these boats was not a "finish" coat type product, only part of the frp layup process to get the parts out of the molds and as a base for the painting process, probably lotsssss of patches under all of the paint too.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

IOW, don't remove the paint unless you are going to repaint. The gel coat is not a finish coat as was already stated.

Bobk

Sounds to me that your marine surveyor lacks knowledge of the Hatteras brand, and their manufacturing process. If I were you, I would look elsewhere, most anywhere, for better advice on the care and feeding of your Hatteras.

Pete

Your so called pro knows nothing about Hatteras. Do not follow his instructions unless you have a spare $100,000.00 to pay a pro to repaint your boat. This is needless work.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Thanks folks... good insights here.

Does anyone have estimates of $/foot painting estimates for the pacific northwest for:
    1. whole boat...$100k seems excessive for a 38DCFB
    2. hull only

$1000 per foot is the standard quote
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

Quote Originally Posted by triatica View Post
    Thanks folks... good insights here.

Does anyone have estimates of $/foot painting estimates for the pacific northwest for:
    1. whole boat...$100k seems excessive for a 38DCFB
    2. hull only
    100k was stripping down to the gel coat for the complete boat. For your size should be 35k plus or minus.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    100k was stripping down to the gel coat for the complete boat. For your size should be 35k plus or minus.
    Here in the Midwest, Hickville USA, we put out large blocks of salt, in the fields, about a foot square, called Salt Licks. These are for the cows to consume. I would put a pinch of salt in your cheek, about the size of one these Salt Licks, before believing the technique and price. To quote from the Outlaw Josey Wales, "We will give you a good price..."; of course that is before further discussions occurred... (lol).
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...