Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Repowered Hats leaning

Quote Originally Posted by hunshatt View Post
    Is this a "fix" that would benifit shorter hatts? my 34 is gas and is about a 20knt cruise , 24knt WOT...
    If the boat is not making uncontrollable hard turns at high speeds you do not have to worry. Your boat was made to run about that fast but if you push it somewhere in the 28 knot range watch out.
    I am by far no expert but i have heard the magic number is 26 knots. Of course diffrent speeds for diffrent boats.

Quote Originally Posted by hunshatt View Post
    Is this a "fix" that would benifit shorter hatts? my 34 is gas and is about a 20knt cruise , 24knt WOT...
    What Tim said. If you're experiencing problems at those speeds something else is wrong.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Mmorrow, after going through the re-power process a few times I would install the engines and then add any modifications after the boat is run at the new speeds.
    It might not need anything.
    There will be a lot more pressure on the steering gear so make sure all of the components are in perfect shape, including the rudder shelf.
    Don't think there's a lot of CAT 12.9's out there but the feedback so far has been very good that I have heard.
    If I loose my mind, again, and do another re-power it will probably be C18's. My worry is Cat's long term commitment in staying with reselling the Iveco engines, like the 12.9 etc, and then parts availability...
    Cat was making good deals on 12.9 last year around this time, anyone know if that's still going on?
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    What Tim said. If you're experiencing problems at those speeds something else is wrong.
    THE BOAT IN QUESTION also had another issue. During construction there were issues. The boat had some small v's installed just in front of the tabs.(which were ground out) The boat as i understand was one of the first to have the 12 DD installed.It did not want to plane. I do not know the complete story but they were removed during or after the re power.
    Last edited by Tim Powell; 09-06-2017 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Powell View Post
    NOT THE AFT CLEAT... The rope was placed from the bow the the next set of cleats back. The 36 had bow cleats two both right and left and another set just aft of them both right and left ( where the rope was placed) not the stern. It was a 1.5 inch rope pulled tight. With the rope it did not lean take the rope off and it leaned. I can not explain where the sticks were placed but we were given a diagram of where to put them. With the boat sitting they will not show under the h2o line.
    the sticks were not a factory installed item. They are not necessary with slow speeds.
    Sorry Cricket if i did not explain myself. FYI there have been a bunch of 45c that have had the problem of leaning. If you look at Goodgrief http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1982...s#.Wa2VcZ3R82w
    It is a 46 but it was a hp the hull and keel was altered on all hp.
    Very familiar with Good Grief as we've spent the last few winters hauled out in the same yard, can't be a better redo on a Hatteras.
    I've watched several different boats tested with a rope under the transom to see if it would help them plane easier, wasn't referring to a Hatteras in particular. If I remember correctly the boats had a hook in the bottom near the transom that made them run like crap, on 1 of them they ground it out, took 2 guys 2 weeks, and their issue was resolved.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Mmorrow, after going through the re-power process a few times I would install the engines and then add any modifications after the boat is run at the new speeds.
    It might not need anything.
    There will be a lot more pressure on the steering gear so make sure all of the components are in perfect shape, including the rudder shelf.
    Don't think there's a lot of CAT 12.9's out there but the feedback so far has been very good that I have heard.
    If I loose my mind, again, and do another re-power it will probably be C18's. My worry is Cat's long term commitment in staying with reselling the Iveco engines, like the 12.9 etc, and then parts availability...
    Cat was making good deals on 12.9 last year around this time, anyone know if that's still going on?
    You are correct Cricket the deals were flying especially from Gregory Pool they purchased from cat a bunch of them and were passing along the savings. I talked to Steve at cat in Wanchese NC. The deals were good but by the time you added all the goodies
    wiring harness / troling valve/ on and on. The price got over my expectations. I do not remember the $ amount but it was approaching or passing 200,000 each. They said it was a deal. Deal or not to high for me. I had to move on to the QSM11's.

As to the answer to your question deal going on i was lead to believe it would be over in a few weeks or so. Last year. I missed a pair that were being taken out because they did not push the 63 the suspected speed. They decided to keep them.
    Last edited by Tim Powell; 09-06-2017 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Powell View Post
    If the boat is not making uncontrollable hard turns at high speeds you do not have to worry. Your boat was made to run about that fast but if you push it somewhere in the 28 knot range watch out.
    I am by far no expert but i have heard the magic number is 26 knots. Of course diffrent speeds for diffrent boats.
    it isn't acting up at all, but I thought there was mention of getting on plane easier... at some point I expect to throw a set of diesels in figured if it was helpfull I'd do it this winter during the haul

My series one 36 with 330b's hit 30kts with no issues at all, my buddy's series one 45 with M11's scared the hell out of me on the sea trails doing as described. She'll cruise 28kts no problem but on the pins watch out. I passed along this info to him. Thx
    1988 Canoe Cove 53 "Lilo Honu"
    1984 Outrage Whaler 22 "Conchyjodyoos"
    Previously owned Hatt 36c

Hey guys I have 36 series 2 re powered with Cummings 450's. my boat acts up over 25 knots but that's not a problem as my cruise is about 20. My problem is when in large steep following seas at anything over trolling speed the boat will keel walk going down the face of the wave very scary . I have considered removing the keel it . Do you think the modifications would correct this?
    brian
    1985 series II 36 convertible
    Palm city,fl

Of course this may be a mute point as I may get hit by a cat 5 this weekend and lose my boat
    brian
    1985 series II 36 convertible
    Palm city,fl