Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)

Threaded View

Repowered Hats leaning

As most of you know some hats will take a leap right or left that are reapowered. When they reach about 25 to 28 knots they fall over.

Especially the series one dezined by Hargrave. Owners have shaved the keel,added more trim tab and so forth. HERE IS THE REST OF THE STORY

There is a 1986 in my mariner that has been hotroded it has 692 in it the transmission gears changed bigger injectors and 5 bladed props. Fore about 5 years no body new how fast it would run every one was scared of it

It was a killer it would throw you off the bridge without any warning it would take a big turn right or left never new which way. As most of you know i live in North Carolina there are a lot of builders here

as well as some retired Hattteras engineers. We set out to solve the problem with a bunch of idears.

Finally found out this weekend a one inch rope solved the problem! With the help of a retired Hat engineer. We tied a rope under the bow from the second set of cleats side to side. We all looked at each other

when he said lets go boys lets see what she will do. For the first time sence modifications it was run wide open to the tune of 30 knots. I saw the gps the little rascal was stroking. It never darted not once. Brought it back

and put it on the railway and screwed two fiberglass strips 1inch x 1inch x 8 foot just above the first rake. Took the ropes off.Then took it for a ride holding on again never darted.

Mistery solved the hull was not dezined to excede 22 knots. Above that it creates a suction and one side or the other will brake suction and it will dart to the suction side. All that money spent on cutting down hulls and sutch wasted.
    Last edited by Tim Powell; 08-21-2017 at 03:02 PM.