Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Repowered Hats leaning

As most of you know some hats will take a leap right or left that are reapowered. When they reach about 25 to 28 knots they fall over.

Especially the series one dezined by Hargrave. Owners have shaved the keel,added more trim tab and so forth. HERE IS THE REST OF THE STORY

There is a 1986 in my mariner that has been hotroded it has 692 in it the transmission gears changed bigger injectors and 5 bladed props. Fore about 5 years no body new how fast it would run every one was scared of it

It was a killer it would throw you off the bridge without any warning it would take a big turn right or left never new which way. As most of you know i live in North Carolina there are a lot of builders here

as well as some retired Hattteras engineers. We set out to solve the problem with a bunch of idears.

Finally found out this weekend a one inch rope solved the problem! With the help of a retired Hat engineer. We tied a rope under the bow from the second set of cleats side to side. We all looked at each other

when he said lets go boys lets see what she will do. For the first time sence modifications it was run wide open to the tune of 30 knots. I saw the gps the little rascal was stroking. It never darted not once. Brought it back

and put it on the railway and screwed two fiberglass strips 1inch x 1inch x 8 foot just above the first rake. Took the ropes off.Then took it for a ride holding on again never darted.

Mistery solved the hull was not dezined to excede 22 knots. Above that it creates a suction and one side or the other will brake suction and it will dart to the suction side. All that money spent on cutting down hulls and sutch wasted.
    Last edited by Tim Powell; 08-21-2017 at 03:02 PM.

Re: Repowered Hats leaning

That's interesting, check out this now comical Hatteras Promotional video. At 5-6 seconds in look how the divers bubbles are trapped by a seemingly concave area in the hull. That can't be good can it? I remember reading the letters section in a boat magazine years ago, some guy had listed all the things he had done to his flat-bottom V-drive to get more speed, disappointed he wrote looking for suggestions. They said his boat likely sits on a trailer when not in use and that his boat was prone to "trailer sag" sometimes seen in hot climates. They explained how to use a six foot straight-edge to see if his flat bottom had become slightly concave. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3JO4kyUsnRM

It's been out there for a long time that it's a suction issue that leans the boats over to 1 side above certain speed. Have scene different fixes such a blocks and various strake shapes as a remedy. A rope under the bottom aft cleat to aft cleat will push a boat over the hump that won't plane too. Just curious, I don't remember any 1986 Hatts having having strakes??? Would love to see a photo of what they did.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

I am going to repower a 1980 50C I think a series two.

I'm looking at about 850hp and this will push the boat over 30kts.
    Sounds as if the boat would not be stable at that speed, the HP increase
    wouldn't make much sense.That being said if a simple fix such as adding
    strakes to the hull would solve the problem...sure would like the extra performance.

Sure could use some more information as to how long, how many,
    and where the strakes were installed.

Thanks
    Mark Morrow

Quote Originally Posted by Mmorrow View Post

strakes to the hull would solve the problem...sure would like the extra performance.

Thanks
    Mark Morrow
    The 50C II shouldn't have an issue with keep walking
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    It's been out there for a long time that it's a suction issue that leans the boats over to 1 side above certain speed. Have scene different fixes such a blocks and various strake shapes as a remedy. A rope under the bottom aft cleat to aft cleat will push a boat over the hump that won't plane too. Just curious, I don't remember any 1986 Hatts having having strakes??? Would love to see a photo of what they did.
    NOT THE AFT CLEAT... The rope was placed from the bow the the next set of cleats back. The 36 had bow cleats two both right and left and another set just aft of them both right and left ( where the rope was placed) not the stern. It was a 1.5 inch rope pulled tight. With the rope it did not lean take the rope off and it leaned. I can not explain where the sticks were placed but we were given a diagram of where to put them. With the boat sitting they will not show under the h2o line.
    the sticks were not a factory installed item. They are not necessary with slow speeds.
    Sorry Cricket if i did not explain myself. FYI there have been a bunch of 45c that have had the problem of leaning. If you look at Goodgrief http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1982...s#.Wa2VcZ3R82w
    It is a 46 but it was a hp the hull and keel was altered on all hp.
    Last edited by Tim Powell; 09-04-2017 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    The 50C II shouldn't have an issue with keep walking
    It should not Jack but i watched this one be fixed right before my eyes in the mariner i am in. It was fixed the same way i have discribed
    http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1991...es#.Wa2YbZ3R82 ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mmorrow View Post

Thanks
    Mark Morrow
    I can only tell you what i have seen and heard. If you have a problem let me know and i will be glad to tell the retired engineer from Hatteras to call.
    Or you can call C.D. Piner at Hatteras service tell him your problem he will guide you. He will not help you as Hatteras sees it as a Libelity. They will not tell you where to put the rakes.
    Tell CD you need TOBACCOW STICK HELP. To answer your question the rakes are 6 foot long 1.5 x1.5 inches..

DO NOT use starboard use pultruded fiberglas striped. CD WILL HELP YOU WITH THAT.
    WHat you repowering with..???
    Tim

fYI HERE ON THIS WEB SITE There is a thread about a knock out 45 with full tower in florida. Seems it was yellow and a looker. The owner was selling it because of the problem we are discussing.
    I understood he saved the keel from advice from a mariner. Also put larger trim tabs on. Nothing helped he was fed up. Some of the other guys may remember this and locate the threat. I do not remember the engines used but it would move along till it fell over.
    Last edited by Tim Powell; 09-04-2017 at 03:00 PM.

Tim,

Thanks for the info.

I'll get in touch with your man at Hatteras about as we northern floridians call
    baca sticks. I learned what work was all about as a kid with those things.

Caterpillar 12.9 engines are under consideration
    What are your thoughts.

"Hattenuff" Beautiful boat and 32 KNTs

Thanks Again
    Mark

Is this a "fix" that would benifit shorter hatts? my 34 is gas and is about a 20knt cruise , 24knt WOT...