Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Happened again

Re: Happened again

I get the notion of AIS in crowded water but geezuss why do they need it? We're back to the notion that our boats, with all of their tech and staff, cannot stay out of the way.

I'm thinking it was turned off to prevent the mullahs from finding them with marinetraffic.com and that still makes sense to me.

We were running from Nassau to Chub one Spring. It was a huge weather window and everyone was headed back to the states leading up to the Memorial Day weekend. A couple of our Navy's Cruisers were headed East through the N.E. Providence channel. They made radio contact with every stinking blow boat and M/Y that was any where near them. They called them out by course and speed with directions to alter course. If they can track a pack of small boats I'm thinking they can handle some tankers without the need of AIS.
    Last edited by Dan Mapes; 09-24-2017 at 07:06 AM.
    Regards
    Dan

Glass cockpit.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mapes View Post
    A couple of our Navy's Cruisers were headed East through the N.E. Providence channel. They made radio contact with every stinking blow boat and M/Y that was any where near them. They called them out by course and speed with directions to alter course.
    Blowboats annoy me as much as the rest, but what gives the navy so much authority to just boss around other boats unless said blowboat is not following rules of the road.

AIS is not for the people on the navy bridge....it is for the crews on the MERCHANT SHIPS.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

We never had AIS and for years did overnight fishing without radar. We did keep a watch for marine traffic. You would think the Navy would train with and without sophisticated electronics. No doubt there is a problem in the Navy with experience and discipline in some areas...with many comments blaming the "social engineering" implemented in the military.

The ones on watch were too busy changing gender?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

If you really want to have some fun try crossing the Mallaca Straits near Singapore, which is the heaviest shipping area in the world. We did not have AIS and most of our friends with it turned it off because it is hard to keep track of 100’s of ships on a screen, much easier with the mark one eyeball. Interesting enough no one hit anyone. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.