Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Happened again

Re: Happened again

Fat and Lazy............Much of our very expensive military have depended on their "mommy's" at higher levels to do their thinking for them. We saw the result on Dec 7, 1941. Fortunately we did have a few great real leaders in the Navy at the time..Bill Halsey, Ray Spruance and of course Adm Chester Nimitz. There were many others of course but overall we were far from ready for the main event. Fortunately the country was very cohesive at the time as opposed to now and everyone turned to from the farmers to grow the food to the manufacturers of military equipment. Today we are largely a nation divided by stupidity. Those who wish us ill are having a field day at our expense and we simply don't see the big picture. These unfortunate events with our ships being involved in collisions at sea are either attributed to very poor training and/or faulty equipment being used and led by idiots. I believe we, the USA will prevail eventually but the cost will be substantial. The first thing that needs to be done is to stop worrying about hurting the feelings of the poor mamby pamby's in our society and insist that they "Man up" and quit whining about everything they don't agree with. The loss of our young sailors in those events should never have happened and if I had anything to say about it, there would probably be some major changes in the leadership of our military services. BTW the Navy is not the only service led by idiots, we have had loses in all branches of the services but the Navy makes for a better story because of our alleged invincibility.

Thanks for letting me vent....

Walt

Good vent. We seem to be afraid to wage war, as you indicated, Walt. We strike then we send in the civil affairs teams to rebuild what we just destroyed. The Marshall Plan rebuilt Europe and McArthur oversaw the rebuilding of Japan. But, that was only after total victory. Now, we rebuild and sometimes give our enemies nice infrastructure from which to resume the battle.

Ever see the movie, The Mouse That Roared? The tiny Duchy of Grand Fenwick decides the only way to survive an economic downturn is to declare war on the United States and lose to get foreign aid - but things don't go according to plan.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I agree with Robert, best thing that can happen to a country is to lose a war with the US. Makes you wonder if North Korea has figured that out. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Navy destroyer collides with building in downtown Houston

https://www.duffelblog.com/2017/08/n...ntown-houston/

HOUSTON — As if the city of Houston hasn’t seen enough tragedy due to catastrophic flooding from Hurricane Harvey, things took a turn for the worse today after a U.S. Navy ship collided with a building in the downtown area.

The ship was identified as an Arleigh Burke-class destroyer belonging to the Navy’s 7th Fleet.

It was unclear why the destroyer was not able to see the building and take evasive action, or why it was over 20 miles inland and trying to navigate through a major metropolitan area.

“I had climbed up on my roof due to dem risin’ flood waters, when I saw a big ship sailin’ down the street,” said Georgia Brown, a resident who witnessed the incident. “I says to myself ‘Oh Lawdy, someone’s done come to rescue us!’ and then it sails right past my house and smack straight into that yonder building.”

This marks the fifth collision incident this summer for destroyers from the Navy’s beleaguered 7th Fleet, following incidents involving the USS Fitzgerald, USS John S. McCain, and the USS Ted Kennedy.

The Navy declined to comment on the cause of the collision, citing an ongoing investigation, although it did say the captain had been promptly relieved of his command.

Despite reticence from the Navy, a senior defense official speculated the ship had likely veered off course from its patrol route in the South China Sea.

Navy officials say they are planning a number of PowerPoint trainings related to urban maritime navigation.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post

Navy destroyer collides with building in downtown Houston

https://www.duffelblog.com/2017/08/n...ntown-houston/
    That would be an allision.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

And yet another catastrophe.

NORFOLK — The U.S. Navy has been thus far unable to locate its newest clitoral combat ship, the USS Bean, which went missing sometime in the past week, a spokesman confirmed today.
    The Navy was responding to anonymous reports of the ship being misplaced somewhere in the Atlantic while on a shakedown cruise to the Canary Islands.
    The Bean is a “Type C” Littoral Combat Ship, meaning it has been upgraded with defensive megawatt anti-air laser emitters. The upgrades include a vibration function that helps the clitoral ship get off to a good start and enables a smooth entrance for large equipment. Navy insiders and defense analysts call the new type of ship the “clitoral” class.
    “It’s not uncommon for a ship’s network connectivity to go down due to a variety of reasons,” said Lt. Cmdr. Peter Fallow, “which could include maintenance, weather, operator error, or what-have-you. We are obviously aware of its continued existence but are unable to locate it at this time.”
    The laser emitter upgrade, according to defense experts, has made the clitoral ships safer, but due to crossover with transmitters and power sources, sometimes makes them hard to find.
    “It’s hard to keep the clitorals under your thumb,” Fallow added. “But we’re going to lick this problem, I can guarantee you that.”

https://www.duffelblog.com/2017/04/n...l-combat-ship/
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I am a little skeptical, smells funny...

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Tales View Post
    I am a little skeptical, smells funny...
    It's smealth technology. Plenty of smelly fish in the sea, so it blends right in.
    Last edited by Freeebird; 08-31-2017 at 07:33 AM.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Remember, there was another thread about these navy crashes. http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sho...d-blow-boaters

Anyway, imagine this, the head hauncho of the navy now tells its ships to TURN ON THE DAMN AIS! Wow, what a novel freakn' idea.

http://gcaptain.com/u-s-navy-ships-t...traffic-areas/

Geniuses:

“That’s been an immediate action. There is this Automatic Identification System, AIS. We had, I think, a distorted perception of operational security that we kept that system secure – off – on our warships. One of the immediate actions following these incidents is that, particularly in heavily trafficked areas, we’re just going to turn it on.”
    Always amusing forum to read: http://forum.gcaptain.com/t/cno-u-s-...ng-ais/46149/3
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Either you can have AIS active with lookouts playing with their 'smart phones', trying to decide whether they're girls or boys, or you can have no AIS and lookouts doing that 'lookout' thing.

I figure those are the only options, given the state of things in the 21st Century.