Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Happened again

Re: Happened again

The Navy still requires Watch Standing, typically on 4 hour rotations, covering 360 degrees of the ship. Where were those watches and did they report and to whom? Regardless of electronics or power, the watch is still most important. If a collision is imminent, alarms should be ringing with all hands prepared. That is basic training...

As for crew training, my son has 18 years in the Air Force and pilots, crew & maintainers spend around 20% attending mandatory "social" instruction classes. The military has become a social experiment which is severely affecting unit preparedness. Much of the equipment has aged and it is not unusual for taking planes out of service just to rob parts.

A combination of factors are leading to these fatal disasters and it is leadership that has become too entangled in politics...forgetting it leads to death & destruction.
    Art

Just how hard is it to train a crew to not collide with another ship? Does not take a crowd of people either.

Between collisions of Navy ships, computers being hacked, statues being taken down and all the other political correctness BS, when if ever will our once great country wake up and start kicking some asses. From what I have been seeing and hearing my USN no longer exists. We are in deep doo-do boys and girls. Of all things our military should not be subjected to political correctness. They need to concentrate on readiness in fact not fiction. If we had to fight WW 2 today I shudder to think of the outcome. I'm glad I am 80 and hopefully won't be around to see our demise.......

Walt

Walt you un feeling entitled heartless SOB.

Boys and Girls?

You left out Boys that want to be Girls, Girls that want to be boys, Boys that want boys, Girls that want Girls and of course the ones who don't yet know how to classify themselves.

I cant believe you.

That was just mean.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I have heard this, too, and it makes me feel quite sad. More than any other branch of the American military, the Navy projects our image all over the world. It would be very unfortunate if the image of the Navy became that of a group of people who could not safely navigate or see in front of them.

I'm surprised, though, that these things are happening now. The military has had those policies in place for a long time, now. Why all of a sudden can't they avoid hitting other vessels?

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    I have heard this, too, and it makes me feel quite sad. More than any other branch of the American military, the Navy projects our image all over the world. It would be very unfortunate if the image of the Navy became that of a group of people who could not safely navigate or see in front of them.

I'm surprised, though, that these things are happening now. The military has had those policies in place for a long time, now. Why all of a sudden can't they avoid hitting other vessels?
    When all else fails, go back to the basics...It was successful for decades...!
    Art

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post

The navy has been incompetent at driving ships for quite some time. It's just that they catastrophes are spread out enough that they can be silently printed on the back page of the news.

Just read this: http://gcaptain.com/the-uss-mccain-to-be-or-to-do/

The most common question we receive (from both Naval officers and maritime industry insiders) is: How do I share this information – or how do I take steps to fix the problems myself – without ruining my career?

My answer is: you can’t.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    The navy has been incompetent at driving ships for quite some time. It's just that they catastrophes are spread out enough that they can be silently printed on the back page of the news.

Just read this: http://gcaptain.com/the-uss-mccain-to-be-or-to-do/
    Interesting article, the Navy might be the canary in the coal mine... Started with Clinton's "Don't ask, Don't tell" initiative. Then Obama introduces the LGBT thing. Then mandatory training for Social Diversity and Sexual Orientation...then Sex Changes because Jack wants to be Jackie or the opposite....incompetence or intentional...you decide. We need big changes before all the wheels fall off.

Good article that quotes admiral from back when the Navy got things done:

http://gcaptain.com/kings-orders-u-s...-instructions/

Here are Admiral King’s orders on the eve of our greatest naval battles:

“CINCLANT SERIAL (053) OF JANUARY 21, 1941 Subject: Exercise of Command — Excess of Detail in Orders and Instructions.

1. I have been concerned for many years over the increasing tendency — now grown almost to “standard practice” — of flag officers and other group commanders to issue orders and instructions in which their subordinates are told “how” as well as “what” to do to such an extent and in such detail that the “Custom of the service” has virtually become the antithesis of that essential element of command — “initiative of the subordinate.”

2. We are preparing for — and are now close to — those active operations (commonly called war) which require the exercise and the utilization of the full powers and capabilities of every officer in command status. There will be neither time nor opportunity to do more than prescribe the several tasks of the several subordinates (to say “what”, perhaps “when” and “where”, and usually, for their intelligent cooperation, “why”), leaving to them — expecting and requiring of them — the capacity to perform the assigned tasks (to do the “how”).

3. If subordinates are deprived — as they now are — of that training and experience which will enable them to act “on their own” — if they do not know, by constant practice, how to exercise “initiative of the subordinate” — if they are reluctant (afraid) to act because they are accustomed to detailed orders and instructions — if they are not habituated to think, to judge, to decide and to act for themselves in their several echelons of command — we shall be in sorry case when the time of “active operations” arrives.

4. The reasons for the current state of affairs — how did we get this way? — are many but among them are four which need mention: first, the “anxiety” of seniors that everything in their commands shall be conducted so correctly and go so smoothly, that none may comment unfavorably; second, those energetic activities of staffs which lead to infringement of (not to say interference with) the functions for which the lower echelons exist; third, the consequent “anxiety” of subordinates lest their exercise of initiative, even in their legitimate spheres, should result in their doing something which may prejudice their selection for promotion; fourth, the habit on the one hand and the expectation on the other of “nursing” and “being nursed” which lead respectively to the violation of command principles known as “orders to obey orders” and to that admission of incapacity or confusion evidenced by “request instructions.”

5. Let us consider certain facts: first, submarines operating submerged are constantly confronted with situations requiring the correct exercise of judgment, decision and action; second, planes, whether operating singly or in company, are even more often called upon to act correctly; third, surface ships entering or leaving port, making a landfall, steaming in thick weather, etc., can and do meet such situations while “acting singly” and, as well, the problems involved in maneuvering in formations and dispositions. Yet these same people — proven competent to do these things without benefit of “advice” from higher up — are, when grown in years and experience to be echelon commanders, all too often are not made full use of in conducting the affairs (administrative and operative) of the several echelons — echelons which exist for the purpose of facilitating command.

6. It is essential to extend the knowledge and the practice of “initiative of the subordinate” in principle and in application until they are universal in the exercise of command throughout all the echelons of command. Henceforth, we must all see to it that full use is made of the echelons of command — whether administrative (type) or operative (task) — by habitually framing orders and instructions to echelon commanders so as to tell them ‘what to do’ but not ‘how to do it’ unless the particular circumstances demand.

7. The corollaries of paragraph 6 are:
    (a) adopt the premise that the echelon commanders are competent in their several command echelons unless and until they themselves prove otherwise;

(b) teach them that they are not only expected to be competent for their several command echelons but that it is required of them that they be competent;

(c) train them — by guidance and supervision — to exercise foresight, to think, to judge, to decide and to act for themselves;

(d) stop ‘nursing’ them;

(e) finally, train ourselves to be satisfied with ‘acceptable solutions’ even though they are not “staff solutions or other particular solutions that we ourselves prefer.”
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

So,.. helicopter officers and snowflake subordinates in 1941... who could have anticipated where that would end up?
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375