Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Happened again

Re: Happened again

I wonder if political correctness has started to get in the way of the mission. I was In the navy 20 years ago and it was creeping in then. I still have friends in the navy now in the higher ranks and they are suggesting this in private of course. They would never dare say it out loud.

I suspect you may be right, from what I have heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Before we get too critical of our people in uniform, could it be that these two events are just another form of running down civilians with trucks and vans?
    You have an LRC right? What you are stating is the equivalent of you being able to ram your LRC into a small USCG boat!

The navy has long been flawed in the training and grooming of their ship-driving officers. Which is really sad and ironic (at the same time), because the navy originally set many of the standards for ship operations. I suggest now the navy turn to the merchant mariners in order to learn how to drive ships.

But you don't have to listen to me, this guy gives specifics from living on both sides! http://gcaptain.com/us-navy-loss-uss...t-keeps-going/

Two quotes from gcaptain forum:

4 collisions in 1 year

USS John S. McCain
    USS Fitzgerald
    USS Louisiana
    USS Lake Champlain

this one is even more painful, because it's so true

want to take out the US navy? Sell your destroyers and buy a container ship.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

It appears the McCain was at anchor or at a dead stop from that pic.
    Last edited by barkdee; 08-23-2017 at 09:03 AM.

Lol wow. Some of these responses are amazing! The Navy doesn't own the water! You can't sink a merchant ship that gets within a mile of a Navy ship.... Esp when that area is only 2 miles wide! The Navy needs better training.

It was reported briefly on Saturday by FOX that the command and control systems were locked up due to being hacked and the ship was dead in the water. Only heard the report once and was attributed to someone on board.

Could it be the ships are vunerable?

All things considered anything is possible. We farm out quite a bit of software and who knows what it looks like when we get it. Consider how Target and Home Depot got whacked. In those cases a contractor that was doing work for them (refrigeration in one case) had a password to the main frame back bone so he could manage his work. He kept the password on his computer in his office windoze system. It was hacked, they found the password and exploited it.
    The real damage was done because the main frame security was rudimentary at best and allowed access to the point of sales machines software maintenance mechanisms. Duh. No compartmentalization.

So presume an officer has a PW stored on his computer, phone, or what have you, it gets hacked and now some dick in China, Ukraine, or Russia has access to the command center systems if things are laid out that way. They plant a time bomb walk away from it and voila we have issues.

However reports also indicate that this is only an avenue of investigation that has been left open out of an abundance of caution. I'm praying our people are smart enough to prevent this but I know there are folks making a living by teaching network security to our team.

Edit:

I am thinking if it was dead in the water with no steerage the CO would have been on the bridge and nearby ships would have been alerted.
    Last edited by Dan Mapes; 08-23-2017 at 07:14 AM.
    Regards
    Dan

This editorial at gCaptain calls out the right people and tells it like it is, IMO: http://gcaptain.com/editorial-red-re...p-not-command/

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I have to wonder if our naval officers have the freedom to fire on a non military vessel approaching them in an offensive conduct? With all the political correctness, I doubt it.

Perhaps a new order from the POTUS that any vessel approaching one of our military vessels without permission, within a mile, will be fired upon/sunk!

Pete
    They can and will warn first. There are security zones set around any naval vessel either berthed, anchored or under way. A friend was chased down by the USCG and Navy because he was getting too close to a sub that was in tow. They approached him with guns drawn. He said they had the gun on the boat aimed at his boat along with several armed crew all pointing at him. No radio contact and no announcement they had a naval vessel in tow. A good friend is ex USCG and said they would regularly intercept vessels who were getting too close. I believe it's 750 yards for a stopped vessel and 100 yards for a vessel under way with a 500 yard restriction for other vessels to operate at minimum speed
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by Chasemmc View Post
    It was reported briefly on Saturday by FOX that the command and control systems were locked up due to being hacked and the ship was dead in the water. Only heard the report once and was attributed to someone on board.

Could it be the ships are vunerable?
    If our Navy ships have hackable electronic control systems they could be up the creek without a paddle. Electronic security seems to be vulnerable at all levels. The USS Ford just commissioned as reported here is loaded with electronically controlled systems. Like they say, computers are great when they are working.