Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

ice maker question

i have a G E refrigerator /freezer, the ice maker is overflowing water and freezing as a big chunk of ice in the bin, what do yall think is bad, the ice maker itself or the water valve? help please. refrig and freezer are working fine

Re: ice maker question

If the valve has trash it'll overfill. If the timer is hanging up it'll overfill. Start with the valve.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Also consider just putting a new icemaker in to shotgun the problem (sure, I know it isn't the proper way), but you may be able to find one for like $50.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Watch it through a fill cycle and find out where the water is coming from and where it goes. My Whirlpool at the condo started doing the same thing you describe and the problem was the short hose from the valve to the tray had shrunk and a new piece of hose solved the problem. Actually, I just split the 'new' hose and placed it around the old one about two years ago.

Bobk

i pulled the valve today, since i turned the icemaker off the other day i think that should eliminate the timer. i also had water running down the back of the fridge so im pretty sure its the valve.. will post a followup as soon as i get the new one installed.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    i pulled the valve today, since i turned the icemaker off the other day i think that should eliminate the timer. i also had water running down the back of the fridge so im pretty sure its the valve.. will post a followup as soon as i get the new one installed.
    Flush it good. If, however, it's the solenoid it's new valve time. No a biggie. But don't forget the valve gets it signal from the timer.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

appliance parts guy said the valve was bypassing so i put a new valve and an inline filter just before the icemaker.. first dump of i came out black as the ace of spades, any idea why? maybe the new filter needs to be flushed?

Charcoal filter?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

not sure what type of filter he sold me but after the first dump of ice all is good.