Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Detroit Diesel 692/435 hp Smoking

Quote Originally Posted by mykim View Post
    l

I buy them brand new from "Interstate McBee" company. Reliabilts have a sketchy reputation at best.
    And IMO, you likely do have at least one injector that is flooding a cylinder. Hence the heavy smoke. Consider not running that engine ill repaired for fear of washing out the cylinder.
    Problem is finding that one, By the time you take all of them out and test get another in a few more hours another will go bad or srart peeing. I agree 100% test them they will test good out of the box but 20 or so hours later you got a problem.

Just for future reference, I am looking for a little continuing education on locating a faulty fuel injector, if the problem is a poor spray problem of some kind.

So, hear is the idea I settled on. Hopefully there is a less invasive way that someone will share. I am working on 53 series engines, so some adaptation may be necessary on other DD engines. Basically, remove the valve train cover and one cylinder at a time, remove the cross over tubes, place flare female caps on the four fittings and start the engine. Problem goes away you found the cylinder with the bad injector.

First, any comments on the idea? I can not think of any damage from doing this, but....? Any other ideas short of injector substitution one at a time, or mass replacement?

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Just for future reference, I am looking for a little continuing education on locating a faulty fuel injector, if the problem is a poor spray problem of some kind.

So, hear is the idea I settled on. Hopefully there is a less invasive way that someone will share. I am working on 53 series engines, so some adaptation may be necessary on other DD engines. Basically, remove the valve train cover and one cylinder at a time, remove the cross over tubes, place flare female caps on the four fittings and start the engine. Problem goes away you found the cylinder with the bad injector.

First, any comments on the idea? I can not think of any damage from doing this, but....? Any other ideas short of injector substitution one at a time, or mass replacement?

Pete
    Pete
    Going to hand you some BS or a little bit any way.
    Take the valve cover off crank the thing and push on the valve. It will still fire but make a diffrent sound. I know this sounds a little funky but it workes.
    A little help here Scott.I know you have 10 times the experience i have on DD's. May be you can shed some more light on this. When they were diagnosing
    my problems i saw some old heads (mechanics) doing this. I could tell the diffrence after some time a good cylender thumps and a bad one sounds like a loose fart.

I have had DD mechanics use an extra large screw driver to check one at a time as Tim says. It seems to work but probably not for the average boater to do. Also Tim at the risk of sounding naive,what is a "loose fart".

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by Walter P View Post
    I have had DD mechanics use an extra large screw driver to check one at a time as Tim says. It seems to work but probably not for the average boater to do. Also Tim at the risk of sounding naive,what is a "loose fart".

Walt
    Maybee i should of said woop ie cushion that is half blown up. Just wait time will tell you.

What about exhaust temps.

Fuel cools when too much is injected.

I'd think the area closest to the exhaust port would be cooler that others.

Just my $.000000000000002.

Take it for what it cost you because I don't know squat.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    What about exhaust temps.

Fuel cools when too much is injected.

I'd think the area closest to the exhaust port would be cooler that others.

Just my $.000000000000002.

Take it for what it cost you because I don't know squat.
    you pulling my leg
    You understand static electricithy
    Attached Images

To the OP. Saw your post on the other forum. Bingo! Realiajunk strikes again. Remove them all and replace them with Interstate McBee's or the Reliacurse will strike again.

Just buy a cummins LOL
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

And ruin the originality?

What are you thinking?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.