Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rosenthol and other 36 owners Help

I have a friend who docks beside me. He has a 36c. In the galley there is a hatch in the floor. Open the hatch there are two(2)
    hoses dumping water in the bilge. Can one of you guys tell me where this water is coming from. There is a bilge pump and float which needs some fine tuning . Water is remaining in the bilge and has some oder.
    I can not but help to think it is condition but hard to follow the lines.
    Tim

Re: Rosenthol and other 36 owners Help

AFAIK the hoses that lead there are from the shower drain, manual bilge pump, automatic bilge pump and possibly a condensate drain from the fwd A/C. There is a seachest that the pump discharges lead to. The lavatory sink drains into that seachest too. So if the seachest wasn't draining properly water could possibly back up into one of the discharges and back to the bilge.

Hope this helps.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    AFAIK the hoses that lead there are from the shower drain, manual bilge pump, automatic bilge pump and possibly a condensate drain from the fwd A/C. There is a seachest that the pump discharges lead to. The lavatory sink drains into that seachest too. So if the seachest wasn't draining properly water could possibly back up into one of the discharges and back to the bilge.

Hope this helps.
    The worst smell you'll ever experience is when the shower pan overflows and that human bacteria sits in the bilge for a week
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

I agree it's most likely the shower. I was just trying to think of every possibility. Now that you mention it there should be a separate sump and discharge to the seachest for the shower. It's missing on my boat so I slipped my mind.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

What year is his boat? Mine does not have this hatch; the shower in my boat drains into a box located in the forward bilge sump which has its own manually operated pump to discharge the water overboard, I think through the port forward sea chest.

I agree the possible sources are the head or galley sinks, plus the shower. Any chance of using food dye to see where it's coming from?

Mine is galley up and I don't have the hatch either.

Im in agreement that its the shower sump. Mine has no top...its just a big square "bucket".
    After every weekend on the boat I use the shop vac and suck it dry cuz the pump wont get it all out.....and if I dont suck it dry.....it smells pretty bad.
    "Yachtzee"
    1976 36C Hatteras
    Catawba Island, OH

I replaced the centrifugal shower sump pump with a remote mounted diaphragm bilge pump. It gets all the water out and does not get its impeller wrapped up in hair. Its only drawback is that it makes burping sounds when it sucks air instead of water. Actually I don't mind hearing this because it means my guests are saving water in the shower.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Quote Originally Posted by Fanfare View Post
    I replaced the centrifugal shower sump pump with a remote mounted diaphragm bilge pump. It gets all the water out and does not get its impeller wrapped up in hair. Its only drawback is that it makes burping sounds when it sucks air instead of water. Actually I don't mind hearing this because it means my guests are saving water in the shower.
    Is it to low to vent out the side instead of going to a collection point

It uses the same drain line as the original pump. It is mounted on the stringer just above the stock sump. Just added one inlet hose with a strainer, then connected to the outlet hose. It has the original manual switch, wired with the shower light. Sometimes I neglect to remind guests of the need to turn this on before showering but the forward bilge alarm shortly gets our attention. Maybe I should add a float switch to the sump.
    Last edited by Fanfare; 08-22-2017 at 08:01 AM.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

I did the same thing years ago when I found the previous owners just let the original bucket overflow into the forward bilge and then use that pump to get rid of the shower water, very smelly. After trying all kinds of cures and a proper shower sump the diaphragm pump was the fix. I have a strainer on the inlet to catch hair that needs cleaning but the pump has been trouble free.

Walt Hoover