Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: Typical Hatteras issues

Bob, Take the comments above with a grain of salt....all in fun. Actually the 53 Hatteras MY was and still is one of the best designed and built Motor Yachts out there. Are there issues? You bet but after all it's a boat. For you coming from a wood boat with all it's inherent maintenance requirements, a 53 Hatteras MY should be IMO fairly simple to keep up. Buy the nicest one you can find within your budget and enjoy it. Regarding Detroit Diesels, they are practically bullet proof. Some have leak issues but that can be controlled. Parts are available and compared to most other engine parts they are cheap. I have owned four Hatteras' including my current 1982 48' MY and I have owned just about every other major brand over the last 65 years of boating (including wood boats) and all I can tell you is that once you have a Hatteras, especially a 53 MY you will never be happy with anything else. Specific issues gleaned from threads on this forum are things like replacing a washer/dryer, fridge, heads (toilets) and other things that are to be expected including what brand of Scotch or beer to buy. By the way, don't only check out the 53's, they are all great boats. I love my 48. We hope to see your posts often, good luck with your quest.

Walt

Possible issues with core damage, head pump issues, heavy heavy yacht, they don't cruise as fast as the newer yachts, leaks around windows. Etc etc. the good points, you will love them. An absolutely fabulous yacht, great lines, great motors, you won't regret buying one.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by Walter P View Post
    Bob, Take the comments above with a grain of salt....all in fun. Actually the 53 Hatteras MY was and still is one of the best designed and built Motor Yachts out there. Are there issues? You bet but after all it's a boat. For you coming from a wood boat with all it's inherent maintenance requirements, a 53 Hatteras MY should be IMO fairly simple to keep up. Buy the nicest one you can find within your budget and enjoy it. Regarding Detroit Diesels, they are practically bullet proof. Some have leak issues but that can be controlled. Parts are available and compared to most other engine parts they are cheap. I have owned four Hatteras' including my current 1982 48' MY and I have owned just about every other major brand over the last 65 years of boating (including wood boats) and all I can tell you is that once you have a Hatteras, especially a 53 MY you will never be happy with anything else. Specific issues gleaned from threads on this forum are things like replacing a washer/dryer, fridge, heads (toilets) and other things that are to be expected including what brand of Scotch or beer to buy. By the way, don't only check out the 53's, they are all great boats. I love my 48. We hope to see your posts often, good luck with your quest.

Walt
    Well said Walt!

I would also suggest contemplating a cockpit boat.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

For my money, and pride of ownership, nothing comes close to a Hatteras. However, nothing in this world is perfect, and there are a few problems shared by most. Start with bottom blisters, if you consider these a problem, it is an item that requires ongoing attention at haulout time. Second on my list is the poor use and installation of balsa coring in the decks and other above the rub rail areas. Balsa was cut for various installations, and left with bare edges. Also balsa cored panels had objects attached suing sheet metal screws with inadequate sealing. Third are those oil weeping Detriots, that in my experience can be managed with constant attention, but never stopped completely. Fourth, boats prior to the AMF era which started about 1972, the electrical systems were poor, really poor. After the start of the AMF ownership and getting better all the time, the electrical systems went to the superb category versus poor. And window leaks, which will occur, but can be completely resolved with a good thoughtful recaulking.

What all these items share in common is, none are structural and all can be managed. Some owners may even take the position that all can be ignored until they present some sort of significant problem. But, few take that approach.

Circling back, from my vantage point, they do not come any better than a Hatteras, and as a buyer when you find one that has received the attention it deserved, you will know it is time to make your move.

Pete

People go on and on about the DD's leaking and yes they do. BUT, it's very manageable. Find the source and fix it. Usually a new gasket, sealant on certain bolts or new valve cover gaskets will do the trick. Problem leaks occur around blower gaskets. Have to pull the blowers to replace the gasket. But tis is a real exception. Also, bolts that hold the exhaust system in place. These bolts, on some models, are screwed into the back of the head where oil for the rockers drains. If not properly sealed they can sprout nice leaks that can take a while to track down. Otherwise DD's are wonderful motors. No computers, no injection pumps etc.

Thanks gentlemen. It sounds like blisters, occasional oil leaks and balsa core issues. Now... the search continues. Most of what is for sale is well east of us (Seattle) so will need to be barged here. A Hatteras is a rare sight here. If you happen to be aware of a good one for sale, I'd appreciate knowing about it. We will probably be making a trip in the next few weeks to look at a couple which are currently of interest to us. Again, thanks for the good information. Bob

You need to find the people who bought MikeP's Hatteras 53 and see if they want to resell it. LOL

Actually, nice ones come along from time to time, but the problem for you is getting her out there. that won't be cheap.

Bob,

I own a 53' 1969 Hatteras MY. It's number 2 of the blocks. If you have question pm me for a phone number. We love ours, has the 8V71 natural. It has never let us down.
    Mike,

"SeaWhisperer"
    1969 Hatteras 53' MY
    Morehead City, NC.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter P View Post

Walt
    Hay, not enough time to use your boat is a serious thing!!
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Leyland,

check out any Hatteras north of you in Vancouver and Victoria, Canada. The Can vs. US dollar exchange right now is decidedly in your favor. If a good 53 exists in that area you should be able to get it for a good price.

Mark
    Lake of the woods