Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Marquipt stairs refurbish

My stairs got destroyed at the Tampa Convention Center Municipal docks,

The slip they gave me was breaking apart as i was docked there. The top step through bolts sheared and my steps are no longer stable. I tried unsuccessfully to drill out the bolt.

In old threads, I saw it was mentioned that members had had their steps refurbished but no mention of who did them.

If anyone knows anyone I can send them to in Florida, It would be appreciated.

Re: Marquipt stairs refurbish

A friend of mine just replaced four bolts on mine. He had to drill them out then put in easy out in them, then heated them to loosen the Loctite that holds the bolts in. Did you try using a torch and getting it really really hot? If not try it they all came out easy once it reached a certain temperature. If you prefer not to do that you might try calling Marquipt themselves to see if they refurbish them.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

3. Re: Marquipt stairs refurbish

A few years back I went through this as well. The PO had welded an extension on the bottom stair for whatever reason and it was a total gonner. Everything was corroded beyond help. I tried to spool gun up the bottom frame that the PO added with 0 luck. At the end I ended up recycling it.

I ended up getting a new 6 stair unit from BOW @ http://www.boatownerswarehouse.com/product_p/102389.htm for around 2.5k ish. In retrospect I probably would have done the teak steps and wood rail. They offer some nice options on them.

How the hell are those things so expensive?
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    How the hell are those things so expensive?
    They attach to a B.O.A.T. :-))
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

I talked to Carol at Marquipt about a year ago and he said if our Sea Stairs weren't too old they had all parts available individually, although I remember the bottom step was a little over $400. Use a 3/16" cobalt drill bit and a Snap-on spiral stud extractor with lots of heat, about ten minutes worth with a MAP torch. Give the extractor a couple whacks with a hammer to help it bite into the broken bolt. I had a couple that started turning, so I put the torch down only to have them seize up again. More heat got them out. A couple holes were out of round, 5/16" Heli-Coils saved them. Marquipt recommends red Loctite when installing new bolts and nylon washers. They have to be little more than finger tight to allow movement. Good luck

Anybody happen to have an extra handle for an 8 step set of sea stairs?

Mother-in-law is visiting the boat and she is pretty agile for 83, but she is still 83. I would like to avoid a bit of drama if possible.

P.S.

Happy to be back and boating after a LONG absence.
    Timothy Rogers
    1981 56' FDMY
    "Fun@Sea.Calm"

Quote Originally Posted by Top Hatt Craig View Post
    I talked to Carol at Marquipt about a year ago and he said if our Sea Stairs weren't too old they had all parts available individually, although I remember the bottom step was a little over $400. Use a 3/16" cobalt drill bit and a Snap-on spiral stud extractor with lots of heat, about ten minutes worth with a MAP torch. Give the extractor a couple whacks with a hammer to help it bite into the broken bolt. I had a couple that started turning, so I put the torch down only to have them seize up again. More heat got them out. A couple holes were out of round, 5/16" Heli-Coils saved them. Marquipt recommends red Loctite when installing new bolts and nylon washers. They have to be little more than finger tight to allow movement. Good luck
    Turned me on just to read the technical efforts you made for the fixes. But I am old...
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

I have a 7 step Marquipt boarding ladder I'm going to post in the next couple of days. In great great shape. It too is missing the hand rail but everything else is in working order. I'll post it for 1,900.00 with pictures soon. If interested PM me.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Just learned a little too late that Marquipt uses red thread locker on the pivot bolts on their sea stairs. Yes, better late than never, but for me after I snapped off three of these bolts trying to disassemble my original 7 step unit. Got me frustrated enough to buy a new set for mucho dinero.

And I did try heat and a couple of hits to the bolt head, but apparently not enough.

Live and learn something new most days on the HOF.

Pete