Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: WTH do I do with this?

Quote Originally Posted by ageless View Post
    I intend to do just this Jim, will dive into the injectors and rack this weekend. If there was an issue within either of these would it present itself only under load?
    Without tearing into the gears, I'm ASSuming the only way I can verify ratios is by the plates on the side and they both DO reflect 1.51:1. The vessel is on the hard and I didn't detect any play in the shafts before removing the wheels, had planned to put a dial indicator on them this weekend prior to this prop finding.
    The gear ratio is what it is. That's not changing.

Yours wouldn't be the first boat to have had its injectors changed to alter performance. Just so many variables.

I don't recall if you mentioned this. Are your RPM numbers at WOT with the sync off?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

You may get lucky and fix it in one haul. I would go for getting both props the same and give it another try.
    At that point a baseline can be established. Any chance there are more props hidden somewhere onboard?
    My old 43 had two sets of different diameter. Getting these old girls straight is part of the process. I prefer to do one thing at a time . Its easier to measure results. Of course clean bottoms are a given.
    Over thinking these things can start another slew of problems.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    The gear ratio is what it is. That's not changing.

Yours wouldn't be the first boat to have had its injectors changed to alter performance. Just so many variables.

I don't recall if you mentioned this. Are your RPM numbers at WOT with the sync off?
    ahhhh, good thought there. It was with sync "on"

Quote Originally Posted by Finalee View Post
    You may get lucky and fix it in one haul. I would go for getting both props the same and give it another try.
    At that point a baseline can be established. Any chance there are more props hidden somewhere onboard?
    My old 43 had two sets of different diameter. Getting these old girls straight is part of the process. I prefer to do one thing at a time . Its easier to measure results. Of course clean bottoms are a given.
    Over thinking these things can start another slew of problems.
    I do have a set of 30x28 in the ER, might need to take those to the shop for a look over as well.
    Last edited by ageless; 08-16-2017 at 10:49 AM.

ahhhh, good thought there. It was with sync "on"
    Then I'd do as little as possible to the props until you know what WOT really is.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Then I'd do as little as possible to the props until you know what WOT really is.
    I'll get back to you on this, I'm going to text my surveyor and see if the sea trial WOT was "synced", he received the same reading(s) as I did

what history are you referring to?

what questionable data?

little early to jump to an unreasonable conclusion such as GIGO, wouldn't you say? Or would you like to clarify where the unjustified statement derived?
    History of work done on the boat prior to your owning it for how long now?

You didn't even know you had mismatched props until you took them to a prop shop. Or was that in the maintenance records you valued so highly?

You don't have sufficient known accurate information to properly diagnose the problem.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

I think what everyone here is saying, you need to start at the other end and rule out possible causes of not attaining WOT first. Engine controls – are they allowing you to get full WOT? Is the rack allowing WOT? Do you have enough boost pressure for WOT?? Is there enough compression ? You are starting at the wrong end of the problem. Could be someone mismatched the wheels to try and compensate for a weak engine, who knows it’s all speculation until you start ruling out causes….Pat

Not sure of your point here, the maintenance records reflect balancing and cleaning in 2012. I would have thought my surveyor would have documented actual specs but he took the dipshit brokers word.

It's a small world, ain't it? We musta had the same surveyor.

043 Star Rudder, Prop.jpg
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Not sure of your point here, the maintenance records reflect balancing and cleaning in 2012. I would have thought my surveyor would have documented actual specs but he took the dipshit brokers word.

It's a small world, ain't it? We musta had the same surveyor.

Attachment 23171
    Your surveyor was named three finger Pete
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by doc g View Post
    I think what everyone here is saying, you need to start at the other end and rule out possible causes of not attaining WOT first. Engine controls – are they allowing you to get full WOT? Is the rack allowing WOT? Do you have enough boost pressure for WOT?? Is there enough compression ? You are starting at the wrong end of the problem. Could be someone mismatched the wheels to try and compensate for a weak engine, who knows it’s all speculation until you start ruling out causes….Pat
    understood....I still plan to have the props worked to be equals. I can't imagine the prop mismatch was done intentionally just based on the extensive maintenance records, including nearly $30,000 in cooling system maintenance in April 2017, shortly before I purchased. When the props were just pulled they were equally as stuck with no sings of one being recently placed, but I realize anything is possible (may have been a sorry shop that worked them previously)