Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hatteras Bilge Sprinkler System: Or How I Learned to Love Oak Plugs

I am remodeling my after bilges and steering deck area. After repainting, I really didn’t like the look of the old plastic cockpit drain hoses sagging and looking pretty much like crap.

IMG_8192.jpg

So, I decided to remove them and re-plumb with PVC. I did a pretty good job, if I say so myself. I called it a day, put away the tools and fired up the A/C for a relaxing evening. I glanced out back window and Holy Fountain of Youth, Batman! There was a geyser of water shooting up from the drain on the (fortunately) open center access!

After about 10 seconds of a combination of fright and bewilderment, I turned the A/C off and the flood abated. I was beat and frustrated and wanted no part of reworking the plumbing in cramped quarters. Where'd I stash those oak plugs? I had used a liberal portion of 5200 putting in a new PVC elbow the previous day; the threads were completely gone. Despite the advertised 7 day cure time, I was able to drive a plug in the pipe with a large hammer—can’t believe it held up to that.

IMG_8243.JPG

Reason finally took over. I knew I couldn’t sleep with only that oak plug holding me up. It was August, and it was South Carolina—A/C not optional. Back to work; should be simple to swap hoses, right?

‘OK, I’ll just swap the A/C line with the bilge pump discharge next to it and clean it all up tomorrow.’ I was half right: the dealing with it the next day part. I started pulling the bilge pump line off the thru hull. It came off just fine, along with half the thru hull! Where did I put that oak plug?? It was all working so well before I started fixing what wasn’t broken until I fixed it until I broke it.

Some SOB had plumbed the cockpit drain into the A/C pump discharge line. I guess they too had experienced Old Faithful because they had installed a small check valve in the line. I mistook it for a splice. As some of you may recall, I have a blackheart when it comes to March Pumps. But give the devil his due, it was moving some water and then some.

IMG_8246.jpg

Anyway, a new thru hull, new tube of 5200, new tee, a plug, some more pipe and fittings and we are now good to go. Hard to believe someone really thought this was acceptable.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I ran that bilge pump and no more geyser. You know, I think I'm done plumbing for a while.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Re: Hatteras Bilge Sprinkler System: Or How I Learned to Love Oak Plugs

Does the new er pump / cockpit drain need a check valve so the cockpit can't drain into the er?

Yep, sure does and has had one from the get go. Also have the hose back to the ER pump raised up well over the discharge level on the way forward. Good catch, though.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Just another day at the boat. It's amazing the number of things that can sink them.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

PBS should do a series, This Old Hatt. Plenty of material, never any reruns. Could be a documentary, horror, reality TV or for sure a drama series.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I'd say that a least 60% of my work on this old tub is fixing things that some bubba mechanic or previous owner butchered up. This week I took off the intercoolers and main heat exchanger on my port motor to have them boiled out. So while I'm at it thought I'd fix a small oil leak on the gear box. Hell, know wonder it was leaking some bubba had installed two O rings that are too small. Many bad words spoken, again.

Robert
    Gotta add some fire to the situation. On my 52c the water from the hatches drain into the discharge trough on the side.
    The 45 did the same. They are molded in lust above the fuel tank no hoses. if there are hoses they are covered with glass.
    Take a second look toward the stern about 3 inches from the end of port and starbord side i bet you find a hole. They are bad for stoping up
    each time i wash the boat i put pressure on them and all kind of junk comes out an into the side drains.
    Some one may have glased over the hole is about 1/4"and in the side or lower part. I do not know why they would be on the 45 and 52 and not the 54.

Tim,You're correct in that I have molded in drains on all four accesses. But the large center access has two additional drains in back corners. Not sure why, but they're there. There've been thirty-three years of opportunities for add-ons. At least they drain. Plus if want to add a concrete birdbath I've already got it roughed in.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Good job!
    But I'm not a fan of PVC used anywhere that might one day be mission critical. I'd get rid of that PVC on the AC output line.
    Cheers
    Q

Could. But now that I'm not plumbing anymore I've got more time to whittle me some new plugs.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC