Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Allison M20 over-full

Hello,
    I understand from this forum the issue with engine (8V71TI in my case) oil leaking through seal into transmission. This is happening on my stbd side (tranny oil black), but not the port side (oil like honey). I poured through the tranny documentation and could not find any reference to a few questions.

Is there some tolerance for over-full (on the side that is getting the extra engine oil via the leaking seal)? Mine is about 1/2" above full (checked warm while idling). We're planning an 18 hour trek back down to Key West via Marco and I'm trying to decide how much oil to pump out of the tranny. I assume it is going to vent out into the bilge at some point so I want to prevent that. Assuming the vent is working properly, is there any potential damage from running over-full a certain amount?

I also couldn't find any reference to how much oil it takes to raise the level from the "low" line on the dipstick to the "full" line?

Any insights appreciated!!
    Thank you,
    Jerry
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Re: Allison M20 over-full

I'd be more concerned about low engine oil

That can run an engine in no time.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    I'd be more concerned about low engine oil

That can run an engine in no time.
    Thanks Scott - I do keep a close eye on that, just mainly wondering about the over-full condition on the tranny.
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

overfull m20 will aerate the oil (foam). that will lead to poor lubrication and pressures. aerated oil is impossible to check for level due to being filled with air bubbles and seeming like more oil than whats there. If its not foaming youre ok id say. one of mine leaks just like yours does, just not bad enough to justify changing the seal. every other year oil change takes care of mine.

Most likely the rear engine seal is leaking. It will leak engine oil to trans. Check the hydrico pump first but , my money is on the seal.

Suck it out of the transmission, add about that amount to the engine. Since the oils are the same I suppose you could even add the extra transmission oil back into the engine (the purist in me says don't, however). There are more contaminants from engine combustion in engine oil than in transmission oil but I doubt if short exposure would do much damage. And these are already mixing through the bad seal. I would fix this as soon as convenient as long term the acids in engine oil won't be good for the transmission.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Quote Originally Posted by captddis View Post
    Most likely the rear engine seal is leaking. It will leak engine oil to trans. Check the hydrico pump first but , my money is on the seal.
    Mine too. I've seen the hydreco pump blow a seal and empty the transmission into the engine.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Mine too. I've seen the hydreco pump blow a seal and empty the transmission into the engine.
    I had the same problem. I sucked all the oil out of the transmission. Changed filter and cleaned screen. Why i do not know but it has not turned black an oil lever ok sence the engines were rebuilt.

Quote Originally Posted by nautibake View Post
    Hello,
    I understand from this forum the issue with engine (8V71TI in my case) oil leaking through seal into transmission. This is happening on my stbd side (tranny oil black), but not the port side (oil like honey). I poured through the tranny documentation and could not find any reference to a few questions.

Is there some tolerance for over-full (on the side that is getting the extra engine oil via the leaking seal)? Mine is about 1/2" above full (checked warm while idling). We're planning an 18 hour trek back down to Key West via Marco and I'm trying to decide how much oil to pump out of the tranny. I assume it is going to vent out into the bilge at some point so I want to prevent that. Assuming the vent is working properly, is there any potential damage from running over-full a certain amount?

I also couldn't find any reference to how much oil it takes to raise the level from the "low" line on the dipstick to the "full" line?

Any insights appreciated!!
    Thank you,
    Jerry
    On Twin Disc Gears being over full is a bad thing. This condition may cause several problems. Such as low pressure, foaming oil and slippage. IMO, the best way to maintain your oil level is 1/3rd above the low mark when the gear box is cold. This allows for expansion.

As for your concern that engine oil is getting into that gear. There is no real avenue for this to happen. Even if the main seal on the back of your engine has gone bad it won't get into the gear. The only possible way would be a bad oil cooler. Even that is unlikely. I'd suggest you pump out the gear completely, pull the filter and suck out the oil at the bottom. Then install a new filter and refill with 40W. Keeping your cold fill line a third up the stick. On your sea trial, when she is good and hot, in neutral, check the level. If it is above the full mark pump some out till it is just a hair below the full line

Jerry.

The Allison's have a wet bell housing so rear ma8n seal leaks will get into the transmission.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.