Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1967 Hatteras 28 cruiser rescued

Hello Everyone!!New to your forum, Yesterday I just rescued a 1967 Cruiser visualy ruff but she's a very sound old girl. Not original engines, but they need fuel system, filters and fuel lines to get her running. She last ran 2 years ago. Once running i will start restoration. And will be looking for period correct Items. Last owner pulled the cabin front and side windows out an disposed of them??? Can these be reproduced?? All for now. Will post pictures when i figure out howDon in Bokeelia FL

Re: 1967 Hatteras 28 cruiser rescued

Just FYI.

make it like you want t it to be. Forget period correct and make a boat youll enjoy.

There's no gain to a stock original boat of that era and financially no reward for restoring one.

Do the job right with quality materials and make it a resto-mod.

You'll be happier that way in the end.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Yes the windows can be made. Broadus Rose with Lookout Window frames makes one piece fiberglass windows. He can make them open or fixed glass. His number is 252 723 2222.

Don't try to replace forward windows. The 28 was a wet boat. The original 28 windshields were quite porous. Build a nice locker inside where the windows used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Just FYI.

make it like you want t it to be. Forget period correct and make a boat youll enjoy.

There's no gain to a stock original boat of that era and financially no reward for restoring one.

Do the job right with quality materials and make it a resto-mod.

You'll be happier that way in the end.
    Totally right and I agree absolutely. These aren't like cars, where originality actually means something. Make the boat you want and correct the deficiencies of the original design, which may be numerous.

Congrats Don. Lots of great expert advice on this forum - it's been a great help to me. I'll look forward to seeing you out on the harbor someday.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Just FYI.make it like you want t it to be. Forget period correct and make a boat youll enjoy.There's no gain to a stock original boat of that era and financially no reward for restoring one.Do the job right with quality materials and make it a resto-mod.You'll be happier that way in the end.
    Thanks makes since to me !!! Its mostly all original anyway except for the cabin window removal. Thinking about glassing in the front and having side windows made for light and fresh air

We need pictures. Its been awhile since a new project has been documented. Good luck with her.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Trying to figure out posting pictures
    Attached Images

You've got your work cut out for you, but if you've got some skills and time it's a manageable project.

Definitely get a good power washer.

Good luck and I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375