Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

How many times can a DD engine be rebuilt?

I'm looking at 80's vintage Hatteras convertibles so of course I'm looking at a lot of high hour Detroits. Some have already been rebuilt and some are probably approaching time to rebuild.
    My question is how many times can a DD be rebuilt? I'm particularly seeing 6v92 and 8v92 in 45C and 52C.

I'm not a fisherman. I'll be cruising in a convertible so a leisurely comfortable speed is fine with me. If I find a recent rebuild or if I have one rebuilt, can I assume that I will not be dealing with another rebuild for a couple of thousand hours if I treat the engines nice and don't run it too hard?

I appreciate the experience shared on the board and look forward to some input from the veterans here. I've never owned a diesel.
    Thank you.

Re: How many times can a DD engine be rebuilt?

4 to 5000 bours on a rebuild if run reasonably.

If the block is not damaged all the components can be replaced again and again and again...
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Re: How many times can a DD engine be rebuilt?

Sleeved engines typically can be rebuilt as many times as you'd like to tear them down.