Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smell in closet and Head - 1972 43' DC

I am getting a stale - pungent smell in the forward head (off the galley) and the forward birth closet (back side of the forward head). Comes and goes .. I am using an ozonator and an air filter to help combat the smell .. but would like to find the origin.

I have bleached and cleaned the holding tanks (4x's cycle) - appears to have resolved the sulfur water smell. I have also used porta-pak Walex Deodorizer in the heads - much success in the aft head .. not as much in the forward.

Boat is new to us this year and I don't know the last time the waste tank was pumped out.

Any suggestions?

Re: Smell in closet and Head - 1972 43' DC

Just one. Spray OdorGone on outside of hoses while you're waiting to replace them.

https://www.amazon.com/OdorGone-Prof...words=odorgone
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Get the tank pumped out pronto; the warning light could be out - mine is. Try to assure you use a facility that has a pumpout with oomph...we've found many marinas have weak systems that struggle with tall boats. Any evidence of trouble in the forward bilge? I use a product called Noflex Digestor after it was recommended here - you'll find a couple of threads discussing it in the archives. Fortunately for me, the PO replaced all the waste hose with Trident a couple of years before I bought the boat.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

I agree with both posts above. If smell continues consider changing out your hoses as well. If you start using digester make sure that you flush the tanks out thoroughly. If there is any bleach left in the system it will kill the little munchers.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Thanks - I am planning on getting her pumped out this week .. I will put it at the top of the list.

Are you flushing with fresh water or raw water. Raw water can lead to odors, especially after sitting all week. If this is the case, rinse the head and hoses with soapy water each time you leave the boat.

Bobk

7. Re: Smell in closet and Head - 1972 43' DC

Stored spare racor filters can cause similar smells. Our boat had a dozen stored in a compartment in the salon when we first bought the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post
    Stored spare racor filters can cause similar smells. Our boat had a dozen stored in a compartment in the salon when we first bought the boat.
    He said the boat was new to him. When should we break the news to him about those pickup tubes?

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...s+holding+tank
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I thought that all old Hatts smelled that way.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

He's got enough to worry about. Let him enjoy it for just a bit longer.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California