Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Re: Hatteras Resale Prices

Another consideration, even if you can get "insurance" you really do not have "boat" insurance. With the ever increasing depreciation schedule, with few parts exceptions, you pay 80 to 90 percent of the replacement parts costs, and you are buying parts for a boat that today costs 10X what you paid for yours.

You will also be buying many more of those 10X costs parts for routine maintenance than the owner of a similar 5 year old boat.

Which leads to many owners who could afford to buy a 30 to 50 year old Hatteras, with far fewer who can afford or are willing to maintain one.

Which leads to fewer and fewer of us hobbyist that take pride in owning/maintaining/improving/using a classic item in maritime history, when mid size fiberglass boats were invented and built with pride for the upper middle class. You just have to wonder what the boat bone yard will look like in 10 or 20 years.

And since boats, at least Hatteras boats are not rotting away, the supply remains relatively constant, the demand is dropping, and prices are doing what they always do in this situation.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    For 300k you can get a newer (2000 and up) motoryacht with modern amenities and power.

It's not a hatteras. it's not Detroit 2 stroke and it's not 30 plus years old.
    What do you get for 300k and around 2000? 50ish sea ray, carver (yuck), az-mutt (double yuck, I ll take DDs over Italian electrical)

None of which will have the space and comfort of a 53MY or 58Yf. For $300k you can start with a tired 53/58, repower, redo the AC with modern chillers, rewire and have a boat that will be far more practical and reliable than any of the above.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Another consideration, even if you can get "insurance" you really do not have "boat" insurance. With the ever increasing depreciation schedule, with few parts exceptions, you pay 80 to 90 percent of the replacement parts costs, and you are buying parts for a boat that today costs 10X what you paid for yours.

You will also be buying many more of those 10X costs parts for routine maintenance than the owner of a similar 5 year old boat.

Pete
    Not sure what you mean by that? If anything parts for our boats are cheaper than some of the proprietary parts you need on new boats. Spent a week in the Exumas cruising with 6 year old Tiara. All the electrics (nav lights, pumps, etc) were controlled by a touch screen a a maze of relays and wires down below. It worked but imagine parts costs ? Ever priced a part for a MAN?
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Not sure what you mean by that? If anything parts for our boats are cheaper than some of the proprietary parts you need on new boats. Spent a week in the Exumas cruising with 6 year old Tiara. All the electrics (nav lights, pumps, etc) were controlled by a touch screen a a maze of relays and wires down below. It worked but imagine parts costs ? Ever priced a part for a MAN?
    There are two separate thoughts on the subject of older boat ownership costs. So, let me treat them separately and try to better explain my thinking. In both cases I will assume that a buyer is in search of a boat and is willing to spend $300K. His choices are a less than 5 year old boat or a classic 30 years old Hatteras.

First, if the buyer chooses 5 years or less his insurance will most likely cover both parts and labor in full, less deductible, in the event of a loss. This full coverage continues until the boat is 21 years old, and then depreciates to 20% parts costs coverage by year 28, if not earlier. At year 28 and beyond the coverage for the older boat is 100% labor and 20% parts. Add to that the costs differential of the parts on a 5 year old boat costing $300K in 2017 versus a 30 year old hatteras costing 300K in 2017. On a haul, prop, shaft, strut or two, my estimate is at least 10 to 1. Keep in mind the Hatteras parts are 80% on you versus the insurance company with the newer boat. Thus my point that you can not buy "boat" insurance on my 40 year old Hatteras, unless someone considers 20% parts coverage boat damage insurance.

Second, the maintenance parts differential between a $300K 5 year or newer boat today versus 30 year old Hatteras. Boat needs new bimini and total canvas replacement. My estimate 10 to 1 costs. Boat needs new floor carpet or other flooring. 10 to 1. Boat needs detailing in and out. 10 to 1. Boat needs new bottom paint. Probably 5 to 1. Then consider all the things that are more likely to arise in a 30 year old versus 5 year old boat. Window frame replacement, new paint job, HVAC failures with five or six old units versus one maybe two newer units. Then throw in older boat needs for electronics updates.

So, bottom line, spending $300K can buy you a lot to take care of that is more likely to need care, of a smaller boat with likely a lot less ongoing expense.

That is why I believe the old Hatteras buyer market is becoming more and more a hobbyist market made up of those that just can not resist owning the boat that they have coveted for a long time, and willing and able to take care of it personally.

I would not trade mine for anything else. I will confess that I would really like the main engines to be as oil tight as the Westerbeke four cylinder generator engine. It has had the same oil diaper under it for 18 years and remains spotless.

Pete

You re comparing apples and oranges. What can you get under 5 year old for 300k? Maybe a 36' Carver mariner, 34 sundancer or a 35' centerconsole! Can't compare that to a 30 year old 53/56/58
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

A 5 year old smaller boat with lower maintenance requirements is appealing to many peoe today.

Not everyone wants, needs or deserves a classic hatt.

Look at how many old hatts are being butchered as liveaboards with poor craftsmanship and cheap parts that they think look good. The half ass refurb shoukd be illegal.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

True but you can't compare a recent 35 footer overnighter camper to a three stateroom, flybridge, cruise ready 50 something MY

A 5 year old 50 something is going to be between 750 and 1M
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Your forgetting the $300k old boat is cash while a newer boat could be financed allowing someone with the means to buy the newer 50 something.

I'm not giving up my 50 plus year old hatt but uyeres today are not like many of us. They have more disposable income and less time to work on old boats instead of using them.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Yes you can compare the two choices, it is what $300K will buy you today. The question for the buyer is which does he want to own given the disparity in ongoing cost and insurability, not to mention the ability to get financing.

Many are choosing the lesser spacer for the lesser ongoing costs, better insurance, availability of financing, etc. Plus the classic look that I so appreciate, is not necessarily what the generation behind me appreciates.

Demand goes down and so do prices.

Pete

I think there's nothing that feels better than a boat or a house that's paid for. And nothing feels worse than sending in a payment on something that doesn't run.

That said, not everyone has the appetite for owner maintenance that we do. I love working on my boat; to me it's occupational therapy or whatever you want to call it. I think a lot of people here feel the same way.

I think the low opinion many of us have of modern boats is to some extent justified. I understand that these boats get a lot of people into boating at relatively low expense, but many of these boats are cheaply built with hardware and fixtures that are rather poor quality. I'd rather have something older but from a better brand. Hatteras isn't the only quality brand out there. I just can't think of any others right now.