Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Re: Hatteras Resale Prices

http://www.nextavenue.org/nobody-wants-parents-stuff/

Or their old Hatteras

Any things value is determined by supply and demand. There's an attitude shift in the lifestyles of the upcoming generation that has the buying power to provide the demand. They just don't want the aggravation of owning things. And what we perceive as a beautiful and classic to them and their friends is interesting but old and dated.
    My mother has "priceless" antiques, jewelry,Hummels lol. All were praised for big bucks at one time nearly worthless now.
    Like Ophra said "when all you old people die" we can bury your old junk and ideas along with you.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    I can not agree with you more about the condition of used boats. I see a lot of them when I do surveys. I tell brokers all the time that if they could get there clients to spend a couple of thousand to spruce up there boats before listing them they would probably get at least $10,000 more for them. And tes the few really nice boats always get top dollar. There are plenty of buyers out there that will pay a lot for turn key boats. John
    Yes, and a good broker will help a client spruce up a boat, as you mentioned. After all, if it doesn't sell, no one makes anything.

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    http://www.nextavenue.org/nobody-wants-parents-stuff/

Or their old Hatteras

Any things value is determined by supply and demand. There's an attitude shift in the lifestyles of the upcoming generation that has the buying power to provide the demand. They just don't want the aggravation of owning things. And what we perceive as a beautiful and classic to them and their friends is interesting but old and dated.
    My mother has "priceless" antiques, jewelry,Hummels lol. All were praised for big bucks at one time nearly worthless now.
    Like Ophra said "when all you old people die" we can bury your old junk and ideas along with you.
    This was our experience when my father and his wife both passed within 5 months, I was left to clear their house in Montecito, CA and I had a difficult time finding a place for all the antiques, carpets, silver, china and all the rest. I was stunned to find that Goodwill wanted no part of most of it and even after an ad in Craigslist giving it away, we still had to rent a full sized dumpster. It has been 7 years and now I am downsizing and having the same trouble: nobody in the family wants our household furnishings and it has next to no value on the open market. And to top it off, the things we want to hold on to, like watches, art, jewelry, fine wine, collectible cars and motorcycles, etc. are the most expensive and difficult to store longtime.

A friend once told me I have an 80 yard life. When I asked what that meant he said "After you die, that's the size of the dumpsters your kids are going to need to throw out all of the things you thought we're important."

I think I'm up to about 120 yards now.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

This year we have surveyed two "clean well maintained by knowledgeable owner with a open check book boats" as described by the brokers. Both failed surveys badly for lack of maintenance but owners were not willing to discount cost. Both boats were visibly ok but badly maintained with a lot of deferred mechanical maintenance. Most brokers play dumb when you start discussing mechanical status of engines, gens, a/c's, and etc. Thin inventory with high prices. Remember this happening after the 10% luxury tax was cancelled and inventory was low.

For 300k you can get a newer (2000 and up) motoryacht with modern amenities and power.

It's not a hatteras. it's not Detroit 2 stroke and it's not 30 plus years old.

It's hard to justify money for older vessels with more and more of these types of boats available.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

A 1980's hatteras motoryacht looks old. It's outdated styling to most people. However, the convertibles kind of stay classic. When I say my boat is 50 years old, people think I'm lying!
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    A 1980's hatteras motoryacht looks old. It's outdated styling to most people. However, the convertibles kind of stay classic. When I say my boat is 50 years old, people think I'm lying!
    You are. Do the math.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    You are. Do the math.
    I'm sure it was built in 1967. Rounding up 1 year is not going to break the bank.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Close enough for government work?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.