Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Re: Hatteras Resale Prices

Maybe it's not a lack of creative financing or a seller's unwillingness to take risks. Maybe it's screaming at you on this forum. Old motors, old wiring, old decor, old air, old everything. Maybe it's the amount of money it takes to maintain old, let alone update. Isn't that the real cost of a boat? So you fix it up nice; there are still dozens of other areas waiting to grab a new owner's attention and wallet. That's what I meant when I said depreciation. At least with a new or much newer boat the depreciation is more straight line. Depreciation can get exponential in a 30 year old boat.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

"Depreciation can get exponential in a 30 year old boat."

That's what's driving our new boat search.My original plan was to sell ours, (1990 56' Ocean CPMY) then go looking for a Hatteras. But once the Ocean sold, and I started reflecting a bit, I've changed my mind. I'm going for newer, faster, smaller. With the relatively short time the actuaries tell me I have left on this planet, I want to spend it on the water, not under a pile of wrenches in the bilge. Obviously, boating is a "to each his own" proposition, but for me, and in fact, just like me, "older" means "more problems". I'm going newer and hoping for the best.
    Searching...
    Daytona Beach, FL

The sweet spot when it comes to maintenance is with boats that are 3 to 8 years old. But three years old, the bugs have been worked out and depreciation gets better. Over 10 years issues start creeping up at a far more rapid pace. At 10 to 15 years, hours start reaching levels where major rebuild become a possibility. Corrosion takes its tall as well as UV on paint or gelcoat. Problem is obviously that a 5 year old 60 footer is still a worth a lot of money.

When boats like ours reach the 20 year old mark, if properly maintained depreciation becomes much less of a factor. Sure they still depreciate but a lot less than a 10 year old boat. Other factors such as th economy and market conditions have a much bigger impact than a few extra years of age
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    a friend is looking for a 50C with either 3406 or C18s. The nice ones have been in the 500K to 600K range
    Ok, 400-600k for a 2000 or newer 50c Hatteras. And people are wondering why their 1980 motoryacht isn't worth 300k?
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Big problem with boats in that 10 year old or less time frame was the economy. With the last recession not as many boats were being built so the inventory of those boats is small and people know it and are pricing them accordingly. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by z28jimi View Post
    "Depreciation can get exponential in a 30 year old boat." Obviously, boating is a "to each his own" proposition, but for me, and in fact, just like me, "older" means "more problems". I'm going newer and hoping for the best.
    Exactly. I'm retired. I spend Mon-Wed working at the farm or helping a buddy in the grading business. By noon on Thursday through Sunday I'm OTB and starting on the project of the week. It's what I want to do. Finding someone like me for your old boat increases your asset value. Purchaser paying someone to do it for them decreases the value of asset at time of sale.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Exactly. Look how fast MikeP's boat sold. And he did exactly that- all owner maintained by a terrific technician who knew exactly what he was doing. On that boat, the offer was nearly simultaneous with the listing going up.

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    Ok, 400-600k for a 2000 or newer 50c Hatteras. And people are wondering why their 1980 motoryacht isn't worth 300k?
    Exactly. You look at what you can buy for a given dollar amount. A friend of mine was looking at a 2005 51 Riviera. Very well kept and equipped. When I told him it was only worth 350-400 he thought I was nuts. Then I showed him some 50 Hatt listings and he understood why.
    Jack Sardina

Can we please avoid political commentary here? What if the leadership has nothing to do with the economy? It was already growing and accelerated this summer because people HAVE jobs. The free market dictates the economy. Get a life.

I've just been lucky enough to help a friend hone in on the right boat for him, and z28jimi makes a valid point. My buddy started out seeking a truly pristine updated Hatteras. We couldn't find one. ANYWHERE. He ended up with a newer modern style boat. And it was a tough search to find a really clean one of those!

MOST of the boats We looked at were either awful, or teetering on awful because so few people properly care for them. Nor prepare them for sale. WHY IS THAT? Price is dictated by condition. Period. The price of the cleanest boats is way up. The dirty ones...WAY DOWN!

Example...maybe one or two 53 Hatteras's out there are worth $300,000. The remaining 347 are worth less. Some worth $0. It's not about the price. It's about the condition. A professional restoration will run about $750,000. We've reached a dangerous tipping point. It's more cost effective to buy the newest nicest boat you can find for under $500,000. Since there aren't any 2000 model 53 Hatteras's out there...where do you turn?

I can not agree with you more about the condition of used boats. I see a lot of them when I do surveys. I tell brokers all the time that if they could get there clients to spend a couple of thousand to spruce up there boats before listing them they would probably get at least $10,000 more for them. And tes the few really nice boats always get top dollar. There are plenty of buyers out there that will pay a lot for turn key boats. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.