Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Re: Hatteras Resale Prices

Somebody that can come up with 150k cash, can also come up with 200k cash.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    Somebody that can come up with 150k cash, can also come up with 200k cash.
    You know, I've been on enough boats belonging to folks who can't afford their boat to not ever want to have to take it back. And there is a legal process for foreclosure that can be quite lengthy if the foreclosee wants it to be. That's a period of time when they know they are going to have to give it up and, human nature being human nature, may further degrade the value of the asset (trash the boat). And then there's the subordination of the second to the first (if that's the case) wherein the party holding the first mortgage isn't necessarily helpful to the party holding the second.

As painful as it is, I have to agree with Capt'n Krush.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post

As painful as it is, I have to agree with Capt'n Krush.
    Conversely, somebody that can finance 150k, can also finance 200k (or make up the 50k difference with cash).
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by Chasemmc View Post

Look, I am not a banker or a lender, nor am I advocating taking advantage of buyers. My point is simply, resale prices of older boats are lower than they would be if financing was available. We can not change the lending industry, but as individuals we can influence individual transactions.

As an example, you list the boat for $150k. Replacement new 1.5m. 100% refurb $600k
    Too old to get conventional lending. You list for $200 as is with $50 as a second. You receive the $150k at closing and buyers note costs him an extra X per month over 5 years.

You feel good about the risk, you hold the paper and earn 10~12% on the $50 and the extra $50k less the cost to insure the risk. You don't feel good, discount the note to $25k and sell on secondary market. End of story you sold the boat at worst for $175 instead of $150.

If I were in the brokerage business, you bet I'd have this angle to offer. It would make me more valuable to sellers and buyers alike.

My goodness we are a group of old curmudgeons.
    Just proffering some out of the box thinking. Stop shaking your canes at me.

I could not agree more with you!

What ever the assett is, it can be financed regardless of whether it appreciates or depreciates. Mobile homes and used cars both depreciate and the only way many of them could be sold is by creative financing.

I am a landlord and I check credit, public records, and I do a criminal background check on all of my tenant applicants. I find out who you can trust and who you cannot.

Just make the terms workable and attractive....sold!
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

One more thing!

I have learned over the years that there really is no sign of intelligence at the bank. I have also learned that you never ever trust any bank. Banks will screw you.

I am in the house business and I have done many owner financed deals both when buying and selling houses. No banks!

Owner financing is as much an art as a numbers game.

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

Back in the days of Jimmy Carter when interest rates on home mortgages were close to 20%, I thought I saw an opportunity to make a few bucks by lending money secured by mortgages at a slightly lower rate. All the dead beats that never paid more than offset the gain. It wouldn't have been as bad if the repo'd building was not trashed but unfortunately most were. I have seen many people trash an otherwise nice boat because they know that the bank is about to take it. Why is it that they seem to justify their actions because in their pea brains, the bank is the bad guy. They had an understanding with the bank or other lender that we will lend you x dollars and you agree to pay us back with interest. Very simple and no one held a gun to the borrower's head. The bank upheld their end of the deal by lending the money, but yet when they asked the borrower to uphold their end of the deal and make timely payments, they figured it was OK to get even with the evil lender. Obviously I no longer engage in the lending business. Ben Franklin was indeed a very wise man when he said"Neither a borrower nor a lender be"

Walt

With all due respects, it depends who you do business with.

Just the same way I vet a tenant (as I described above) is the same way I would do my diligence to carry a note from someone. This has served me well for the last 13 years renting houses and apartments to people. It is not easy but it is doable. You can be just as careful as any bank would be.

I would say that the majority of financed boats, cars, houses... you name it, go as planned. If not, there is no market anymore.

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

As a buyer, when my seller refuses to consider financing, I have to ask , what's wrong with the asset? If I offer to pay for a boat over 5 years, and he refuses, he's telling me that something is likely to go wrong. Also speaking as a borrower, i view the bank or individual making the loan, as my partner. We are in this thing together. If things go bad, I have no problem asking for a renegotiation or even returning the keys if it doesn't work out. ( I am in no way justifying trashing the asset)

After the savings and loan crisis years ago, the value of the real estate that they had financed, dropped like a rock. Looking at the value of our old boats, I have no doubt that prices would go up if financing was readily available. I know I paid more for mine than it was worth because the seller held paper for a year. And I would have paid even more if he had been willing to take his money over 5 years
    Last edited by ronparise; 08-16-2017 at 07:33 AM.

Boats are toys not assets. Not a good idea to finance a toy. They break or are no longer fun to play with, so you need to have the ability to walk away from it without repercussions.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Not a good idea to owner finance a depreciating asset such as a boat. When times get tough the first payment that stops are the toys...including maintenance. Ask a lawyer the cost of collecting debt and foreclosure before owner financing....big $$$$'s. Remember, lawyer/politician$ created these laws and not in the favor of landlords or debt holders...for a g$$d rea$on.