Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Re: Hatteras Resale Prices

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    Each bearing sucks up horsepower....and more than you would guess.
    Yep, and consequently fuel. So be it. The props and shafts do not vibrate and shafts are probably less susceptible to damage.

Bobk

I have a 1982 Series 1, 48'MY like Bobk's and since the enclosed aft deck is so hugh, I installed sliding doors across from port to stb about 3' from the stern to create a line handling "cockpit". With both doors open I have an approximately 6' opening which gives us great use of the cockpit/aft deck and makes line handling chores a breeze. I had Alum 2000 custom make the door/window combination and we did the installation. We also did port and side sliding glass windows so we have no isenglass anywhere on the aft deck. It looks like it must have left the factory that way. All that being said, I don't really think that line handling is such a big deal on a regular flush deck MY. Over many decades of owning many boats including 4 Hatteras', we developed a procedure that has always worked well for us. During our travels, as we approach a dock, we would determine which side would be to the dock and rig the lines to the cleats with the loop end. The bitter end was either tossed to someone on the dock or one of the crew would get off the boat while the skipper would hold it in position using a spring line and once ashore the crew person would secure a bow and stern line. Very simple process without the drama or yelling etc. IMO an enclosed aft deck makes for the number one best features of a MY and we spend most of our time there, either dockside or at anchor, although we seldom anchor anymore. The great thing about boating is that whatever you perceive as your main use for the boat, you have a choice of which model best suits your needs. It's far from a "One size fits all" situation. There is no best layout for everyone.

Walt

Well said. The older hatts aft deck are bigger than any modern boats aft deck of similar size

We do the same thing although nobody gets off until the boat is secured (I guess our knees and ankles are not what they used to be). We throw the lines on the dock to catch the dock cleats and bring the bitter end back to secure aboard.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I must be able to handle my boat on my own. Cockpit controls are great for this.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

I agree.... aft deck controls are great but honestly a small flush deck (under 60) with lower helm can easily be single handed from the lower helm

With bigger boats you need controls on the aft deck for backing because visibility is other an issue. I often single hand the lazzara 84 i run and docking or backing from the aft deck is no problem. I can quickly get to the lines and secure them.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Would you take a second mortgage behind the bank?
    You get the quote of the day.

If the second represented the opportunity to receive more renumeration than a straight cash deal, yes. Remember, part of the transaction includes receiving the proceeds of the first. How many $70k cars do u think would be sold if the buyer was required to pony up the purchase price solely in dead presidents? I think Martini would still be renting in pottersville if it wasn't for George Bailey.Quote of the day my a$$

Hurray for usury?
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Buy here, pay here (financing it).

Big profits in the paper (notes etc.) business.

Everything else is just a commodity.
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

Usury is a judgement. If one lends where collection costs are high and default levels above the norm, than the interest rate reflects those expenses. So a pay day loan at 24% may only net the lender 6% after the costs and defaults are considered. 24% would be usury against a good credit risk on real property that is easily secured. It may not be if money is lent to a dead beat on collateral that can drive away.

A fair interest rate recognizes the cost of capital and its earning potential if invested elsewhere after the investment is redeemed.

Look, I am not a banker or a lender, nor am I advocating taking advantage of buyers. My point is simply, resale prices of older boats are lower than they would be if financing was available. We can not change the lending industry, but as individuals we can influence individual transactions.

As an example, you list the boat for $150k. Replacement new 1.5m. 100% refurb $600k
    Too old to get conventional lending. You list for $200 as is with $50 as a second. You receive the $150k at closing and buyers note costs him an extra X per month over 5 years.

You feel good about the risk, you hold the paper and earn 10~12% on the $50 and the extra $50k less the cost to insure the risk. You don't feel good, discount the note to $25k and sell on secondary market. End of story you sold the boat at worst for $175 instead of $150.

If I were in the brokerage business, you bet I'd have this angle to offer. It would make me more valuable to sellers and buyers alike.

My goodness we are a group of old curmudgeons.
    Just proffering some out of the box thinking. Stop shaking your canes at me.