Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Re: Hatteras Resale Prices

Fred and Tinman, Both made excellent points. I won't finance a boat neither for a sale or purchase for the reasons you two stated.

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by ronparise View Post
    As a buyer, when my seller refuses to consider financing, I have to ask , what's wrong with the asset? If I offer to pay for a boat over 5 years, and he refuses, he's telling me that something is likely to go wrong. Also speaking as a borrower, i view the bank or individual making the loan, as my partner. We are in this thing together. If things go bad, I have no problem asking for a renegotiation or even returning the keys if it doesn't work out. ( I am in no way justifying trashing the asset)
    Will Rogers said banks are institutions designed to loan money to people who don't need it. My father taught me that you either want to owe banks a lot or a very little because when you're in the middle, and the rubber meets the road, you'll find out what your banker is reaching for is not an equitable solution but that tube of grease they all keep. A good many people found out in 2009 that banks were poor partners.

I've rented, leased and sold properties for the last 35 years. Thankfully, I have no more residential properties and the attendant headaches. I look back in disbelief at the times when I frequently collected rent with a Winchester Model 12 in one hand and receipt book in the other. Properties do get trashed, even by people who have or had good credit and can pass a background check. I once concurrently rented to a doctor who became an alcoholic house painter and a guy paroled for murdering his girlfriend in a fit of passion. The later kept up his apartment and always paid on time; the former lived in filth and was forever in arreas. People change.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Robert you are correct, however as my mother always said; you can't change the spots on a leopard!

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

In the past five years I have done two owner finance deals. Both were + or - half million dollar boats. Both had large down payments, short terms and huge monthly payments (one was $10K/month) All went like clockwork and both are now paid off. It can work. It helps when buyer and seller are both millionaires.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Quote Originally Posted by ronparise View Post
    As a buyer, when my seller refuses to consider financing, I have to ask , what's wrong with the asset?
    LOL for serious? That's a new one to me....buyer won't self finance, so boat must be a POS.

How about, owner could run boat aground and sink it in first 24hours of ownership, insurance company says boat is worth 25% of what note is, and I get nothing.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    LOL for serious? That's a new one to me....buyer won't self finance, so boat must be a POS.

How about, owner could run boat aground and sink it in first 24hours of ownership, insurance company says boat is worth 25% of what note is, and I get nothing.
    Or negligence and not pay a dime out on the claim.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

LOL for serious? That's a new one to me....buyer won't self finance, so boat must be a POS.How about, owner could run boat aground and sink it in first 24hours of ownership, insurance company says boat is worth 25% of what note is, and I get nothing.
    Not must be a pos, just something to question and a point to negotiateIt's like if a seller can't show me that the boats been properly maintained, I'd assume (at least for the purpose of negotiation) that it hasn't been maintained. And no question the boat could sink and the loan would no longer be secured, but you would still be able to collect on the noteBottom line is I risk my life every time I cross the street, but I take steps to mitigate that risk, I don't not cross the street. There is a risk buyingor selling an old boat whether it's financed or not. I will pay more for my toys if they come with financing. Even if I have the cash,

Or, your new buyer agrees to make payments to you and as soon as he takes possession of your nice boat, he takes the boat strait down to French Guiana were he sells the boat to a local tribal leader for some pretty beads, his oldest daughter and US dollars....lots of them. He always wanted a Hatteras.

This happens everyday!!!
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

That would not surprise me. LOL
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

The point is not whether you would finance the boat, but would the selling price be positively affected by the option.Also, if u were the loss payee secured by your note, u would have a stated value policy.Maybe it's good u guys are all retired, cause even a little risk taking is clearly too much. I risk capital every day conducting business, i consider the risk against the gain and make a judgement. If the note represents proceeds I would never have gotten in a cash deal, the risk is minimal cause I got in the first the value of a cash only deal. Of course it would be safer to stuff it in my mattress