Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Hatteras Resale Prices

What is the general feeling about the value of boats in this Trump environment? My business has seen an uptick in folks willing to part with money on larger projects. For those of you on the front line, what are you seeing in your businesses?

I know it can all vanish in a second as the improved economy is based upon expectations of a tax cut, reduced immigration, etc. etc. But I would think just as the values took a major hit in '08 when the financial melt down took root, their would be a positive effect as the economy finally recovers. For those of us who lived through Regan, 5% real growth is a wonderful thing.

Here's something else I don't get, whey do owners settle for only those prospects with cash. I understand that normal lenders will limit the age due to underwriting restrictions, but in other markets folks get creative. As most of us own the asset outright, why not take back paper in order to accommodate a higher ask? Most small businesses are sold with a blend of cash and owner financing, and the risk is just as high that the new owner will trash it.

For those that really need the cash right now, one could always market the paper on a secondary market. Yes you would have to discount the note, but anything above what you would have gotten for cash alone deal means your dollars ahead.

I am most interested in what Nightingale will close at, not that my boat is as nice, it isn't. But comps are comps and a rising tide lifts all boats. I'm not selling, regardless of what Freeebird says I should do , so the matter is merely curiosity.

What am I not understanding?

mark

Re: Hatteras Resale Prices

Quote Originally Posted by Chasemmc View Post
    What am I not understanding?

mark
    DEPRECIATION.

If it flies, floats or f&#%@, lease it.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Well I guess no one has sold a house and taken back a second. And no one has rented a property due to fear of the property being damaged. what do u think the value of homes would be if mortgages were not available? The asset can be protected by requiring the insurance proceeds to first go the lien holder.Surprised at the response

Boats are very easy to make disappear.

Houses and buildings a but harder to do that.

Yes you can insure it but is it worth the time and effort.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

You can't sink a house in 50 ft of water. Although renters can cost you an arm and a leg if they ruin your investment. Insurance only covers so much. Think about the turmoil.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by Chasemmc View Post
    Well I guess no one has sold a house and taken back a second. And no one has rented a property due to fear of the property being damaged. what do u think the value of homes would be if mortgages were not available? The asset can be protected by requiring the insurance proceeds to first go the lien holder.Surprised at the response
    Would you take a second mortgage behind the bank?
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

i keep hearing how hot the boating market is. I've seen a fair amount of boats sell quickly and for pretty strong numbers in the past couple of months. Unfortunately this seems to be primarily for newer boats roughly 10 years old or newer. Detroit effective. Detroit power continues to be less in demand.
    Jack Sardina

boats are old. have 2stroke loud engine. not worth much.

try 300-400k for a 50c with cats these days.

Now, if you want to talk about center consoles, we can talk about APPRECIATION! People asking insane prices for used CC...and the new big ones (especially cats) are claimed to sell for more than than new because the wait list is so long. Do I believe this BS? Well, this joke won't last forever.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

If I'm financing it I'm keeping it until it's paid in full
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    boats are old. have 2stroke loud engine. not worth much.

try 300-400k for a 50c with cats these days.

Now, if you want to talk about center consoles, we can talk about APPRECIATION! People asking insane prices for used CC...and the new big ones (especially cats) are claimed to sell for more than than new because the wait list is so long. Do I believe this BS? Well, this joke won't last forever.
    a friend is looking for a 50C with either 3406 or C18s. The nice ones have been in the 500K to 600K range
    Jack Sardina